Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 EFI V8 Timing Setting

Snitz92

LPG Sucks.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'15 RG Colorado 2.8TD M6
Hi, on my VQ I am having LPG removed and would like to know what I need to do to change the ignition timing setting back to 10 or 11 degrees before TDC. I am still learning things about my car. I have a timing light and lots of tools. If possible could someone please list a basic walkthrough of what exactly i need to do to achieve this timing change.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Need to pin out at the diagnostic plug, i think it would still be in the passenger kick panel on VQ.. black and white on my VN

take the driver fuel rail cover off the engine. reach down behind the engine between the dissy and the firewall, should feel the locking bolt for the dissy. Some cars have a 13mm bolt, mine has a 14mm. Crack the bolt and back it off about a turn.

Rig the timing light up (assuming u know how to do this). On the balancer there is like an indent timing mark that you have to find, mite take a few hits on the starter motor to see it. Mark it with white out or a chalk texta.

Start the car and let the idle settle, now check where the timing is at. Big long mark on the timing case is 0. Looking at the front of the engine, to the left of that mark is advance in increments of 2. Sus where the timing is at before adjusting. Counter clockwise on the dissy is advance, clockwise is retard (hope im correct.. i only just did mine duh), but you will see which way is which as you adjust it. Personally i always adjust it when the engine is off, start it to check. when you're happy lock the bolt back down. and recheck it.

then you can pull the pin out of the diagnostic plug.

Theres many more detailed how to's on here im sure

Last edited:

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Is it the same on VT 5Ltrs Excluding the diagnostics plug)?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
vt is the same and the diagnostic port is under the stearing colomn

Snitz92

LPG Sucks.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'15 RG Colorado 2.8TD M6
Ok, thanks mate, will check it out mid-week and let ya know. Since it's on a VQ Statesman, I reckon the firewall is more jammed up on the dizzy and inlet manifold. There's probably room for half the thickness of my hand to fit down behind manifold... Reall bitch of a set up but oh well, I'll suss it out.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Its pretty tight on all of them cause of the heater hoses, vac etc. You will only have enough room to squeeze your left hand down there

Snitz92

LPG Sucks.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'15 RG Colorado 2.8TD M6
Yeah f**k oath. I managed to instal some new spark plugs, ignition leads and coil lead (somehow!) and is running smooth as. Still on LPG and timed for the LPG but hopefully not too long before the tank and system is gone. Need more boot space to design a boot install for the sub and spare wheel to neaten it all up nice.

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
Short 14mm or 9/16th spanner you want it running front to back accross the top of the gearbox type thing not much room but doable...definately need a nice short spanner though.