Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 help choosing a torque converter

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
okay guys got a new engine goin in the stato,
runs 10.5.1 comp with a 4761 crow cam and 3.45 dif gears

cams supposed to peak between 2500/5500. they recommend using 3.7 diff but its an auto and with the 3.45 it revs decently high on freeway as it is.
that being said I have got another 3.7 diff sitting here if need be aswell.

ive looked into it and ur supposed to take intoaccount the cam and diff to determine the best converter, but it left me a little confused as how to work it out
..... my question is, what would be best with the 3.45 diff, and also the 3.7 if I end up changing to that?
cheers..

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
What kind of box?
If its an overdrive box go the 3.7 gears.
Mine sits at 3000rpm at 100kmh with 3.55 gears and a th350 (3spd).
To get a perfect match of stall speed you need the engine on the dyno to determine its torque curve.
Your cams not overly big so id say a 3500 converter, it will be quite streetable and drive like a normal car. I have a 4500 and it drives well on the street and hways. Im not sure where u live but go a TCI converter or if your in qld look up the converter shop.
And to be safer than sorry run a nice big trans oil cooler as stallys like to generate alot of heat due to slip.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
If you want to do it right you give TCE your cam specs and all other specs and they will make you a custom stall for about 1100! Dont go near b&m rubbish etc As stated make sure you are running a trans cooler

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
I dont want somthin stupid maybe 2000 but im asking because me mate said the cam and diff will change the rpm of it so I wanna know what difference it makes

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Depends on what the car is for. If it's just a daily, the standard converter is fine. If race car, then the stall must match where your peak torque is.

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
Its a daily but a decent daily. Im looking into it as I dont know alot about stallies.
And me mate said id need one otherwise id take off like a slug

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So you want to race people off the lights then? OK, well, get a decent one, at least 500rpm more than where your cam comes in.

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
Just go custom stall i run a 3 grand stall in my daily, make 255 at the rears and its fine!! 2 grand stall is almost stock lol

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
I dont want somthin stupid maybe 2000 but im asking because me mate said the cam and diff will change the rpm of it so I wanna know what difference it makes
you don't want something stupid??? a 2000 converter is stupid! .....you may as well give me your 800 bux and run with your standard converter coz a 2000 stally wont do sh1t!
stock converters are approx 1800.
Your cam doesn't change your rpm in any way at all, it just shifts your torque curve and broadens it also..... depending on specs.

Your wasting time and money with anything less than a 3000 stally.

some noobs tend to think your car wont move until it reaches its stall speed ie 3000rpm which is BS.
a converter will flash up to what its rated at upon full throttle....another words your engine will rev up quicker until the converter engages and multiplies the load to the driveline.....3000 minimum, 3500 maximum!
Your 3.7 gears will help the car to accelerate quicker and make you feel like you going faster quicker along with the coverter allowing your rpm to increase.
Myself and others could ramble more info to you but youll probably opt for a piss ant converter anyhow

GEAR UP, STALL UP AND MAN UP!!