Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 into Hq one tonner

Jack1221

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 sv6 VE Z-series commodore
hey guys I currently own a Hq one tonner with a hz gts dash that ill be looking to put a 304 into , it has been engineered to have and currently has the V6 Vn motor in it
just wondering if anyone has a rundown on putting a 304 into the Hq as it seems to be a common swap as its basically a 253/308 block and id like to see what it involves and what the process is to putting one in
Thanks

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Should be easy effectively its just wiring. But also depends on whats been done to fit the V6 in it now. On the mechanical side it should just be put the engine and box in with the correct gearbox and engine mounts and correct tailshaft for whatver box you plan on using. On the wiring side it depends on how you are going to control it, I gather you will be using the Delco ECU?

Jack1221

Reaction score
Members Ride
Should be easy effectively its just wiring. But also depends on whats been done to fit the V6 in it now. On the mechanical side it should just be put the engine and box in with the correct gearbox and engine mounts and correct tailshaft for whatver box you plan on using. On the wiring side it depends on how you are going to control it, I gather you will be using the Delco ECU?
Thanks , yeah would just be the stock ecu as I don’t want anything crazy beside just a V8 cruiser , however it’s the wiring that’s intimidating and I’m just not sure that already having the VN v6 wiring already done is going to be a head start or not

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
V6 wiring is different to V8. It's not hard at all though. I think only 3 or 4 wires to splice into the HQ dash loom.

Sump is different and the oil pick up is different. Need to find one from a 308 out of a HQ-HZ. Fuel pump will work.

Jack1221

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that appreciate the to the point answer

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Thanks , yeah would just be the stock ecu as I don’t want anything crazy beside just a V8 cruiser , however it’s the wiring that’s intimidating and I’m just not sure that already having the VN v6 wiring already done is going to be a head start or not
As other have said, Wiring should be easy if you have a V6 efi already wired in as a conversion, difference to V8 really is only 2 cylinders/2 injectors, and of course the sensors will be different and all the drivetrain from radiator to diff. Those drivetrain differences will change depending on what you end up using in say electronic auto or manual ?

Your V6 wiring is using a delco and your V8 is wired the same from the engine loom to the relays and fuse box to battery/starter motor in a VN stock engine bay. The connection to your HQ dash/ignition key would be the same for the V6 you have now to the V8.

We don't know how your engine bay relay/fuses/fusable links have been wired up to the engine loom PLUGS, from memory 2 of those plugs have different pins/wires to delco ECU in the stock v6/v8 engine looms. You would need to see the ecu pinouts for whatever later 304 motor you use from different models.

I suggest you ring Pat from V6 Conversions as he sells conversion looms for V6/V8 looms and he can suggest what direction is best to go for your current bay wiring from the V6.

Jack1221

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that , helps me get on the right track
I’m pretty sure the original conversion was done by pat

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
As achoo said, do yourself a favour and get a HQ-304 converted loom from Castlemaine or V6 Conversions etc. You're lucky you've already got an EFI fuel system with pumps, return line etc, that's a big hurdle with these conversions.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have done this with a hx one tonner using a 92 commodore 304 efi 4l60 trans but still using a 10 bolt salisbury and a 808 ecm. Uses a new alloy hq style v8 radiator and this size was perfect to fit AU falcon electric fans to …it looks like it’s been there all it’s life.
Used two different forms of controls to activate the 2 fans...primary fan was with just a sender unit screwed into manifold to come on about 85 degrees and secondary was from ECM that can come on later….car could sit all day running and never get hot .
Tonner tailshaft had to be shortened about 2 inches. I used a rod shop rear crossmember. I had to buy a new sump and source a hq style oil pick up.
I modified the original 304 efi engine ecm loom to suit the hx body plugs and used multi pin spade plugs where it goes to the new efi relays and fuses mounted in one enclosed box behind airbox. We made custom stainless panels in both sides near both headlights that mounts in original bolts locations and boxes in the panel in the corner so there’s mounting points for all the fuses and relays etc and from the sides and it’s is not easily seen.
I moved the battery to the drivers side so i could put the commodore airbox there that hides the relay/fuses and doesnt look out of place...a pod filter would have been easier but look too tacky.
To keep the clean look in the engine bay we used a VZ washer bottle and pump and it fitted up from under neath perfectly behind driver side bumper brackets in wheel well.
Stock 808 ECM went inside on upper lefthand kick panel area and didnt need many mods to get it going. Wiring was hidden inside lefthand inner guard and I mated up to original hx wiring plugs where necessary. There was a factory place on the in passenger side firewall that was recessed that i put a 30ish mm holesaw in to pass the wiring and ECM plugs through to get inside the car and used a big grommett around the new loom to make sure everything was sealed up . It was positioned just under the left hand plenum drain hose so I had to extend that hose so water couldnt run directly on the new wiring.
Primary 12v ECM power comes via a fuse from original fuse housing in panel under steering wheel and runs across dash under radio /glovebox with the hx orignal passenger door switch wiring.
I used a vt fuel pump fitted inside the original tonner fuel tank using a install kit from here
I had to run a extra 5/16 steel return line from the rails to the pump outlets.
The car has a gts dash and i kept it as original looking as i could and only used on the dash where the int wiper control would go normally to house the check engine and oil pressure lights.... all other gauges other than the clock are original. Clock is a quality quartz vdo unit that actually works and doesn’t look out of place.
Heads up by the way HX early white needle 2 wire tacho wont work without mods
Used a 2 pulse signal generator screwed into the drive on the gearbox and has a output drive that the speedo cable screws to for ecm speedo pulse input.
Nothing too shiny just clean and original looking ......lots of new rare spare parts...expensive but only way to go .....every other aftermarket manufacturers parts are just a compromise.
First picture is during twin 2 1/2 exhaust fitting but you can see the trans and crossmember and tailshaft setup. Car is engineered and fully registered ,looks tough without being tacky with attention to give it a look like it’s original.

Attachments

• ss3ton2.jpg
    ss3ton2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 188
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 174
  • C707F9CA-51CF-4397-8A6C-83A565B37A04.jpeg
    C707F9CA-51CF-4397-8A6C-83A565B37A04.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 247
Last edited: