Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Issues. Jeckle and Hyde

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
@immortality
Do you think once up to temp it's detecting false knock and pulling ALL the timing?
WalkersBay, maybe disconnect knock sensor and drive

It's done it with both computers the memcals , it does feel like its pulling the timing but I've check that in diagnostics mode.
The only thing I can think of and I'm not sure how to check it but the timing Mark's could be I the wrong spot or its skipped a tooth on the cam chain?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Lean is harder to ignite than rich (open loop will be rich especially during cold start). How old is the coil? Can you beg/borrow or steal another to test with?

If it's giving a lean code but the O2 is brand new than I'd be looking for a wiring issue. Clean all earths for starters.

It's done it with both computers the memcals , it does feel like its pulling the timing but I've check that in diagnostics mode.
The only thing I can think of and I'm not sure how to check it but the timing Mark's could be I the wrong spot or its skipped a tooth on the cam chain?
That mostly rules out the PCM and memcal. Who put the knock sensor wiring loom in? Disconnecting the knock sensor will make it run with reduced timing constantly if I'm not mistaken but the fact it does it with the non HSV PCM/tune suggests it's not the knock sensor as the standard tune doesn't have the hardware to make use of the signal.

I doubt it's the chain or timing mark as it runs fine than doesn't.

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Lean is harder to ignite than rich (open loop will be rich especially during cold start). How old is the coil? Can you beg/borrow or steal another to test with?

If it's giving a lean code but the O2 is brand new than I'd be looking for a wiring issue. Clean all earths for starters.

That mostly rules out the PCM and memcal. Who put the knock sensor wiring loom in? Disconnecting the knock sensor will make it run with reduced timing constantly if I'm not mistaken but the fact it does it with the non HSV PCM/tune suggests it's not the knock sensor as the standard tune doesn't have the hardware to make use of the signal.

I doubt it's the chain or timing mark as it runs fine than doesn't.

I did the knock loom, really quite easy, one wire.
I've back probed the computer and everything that needs earth has it and all are signals are getting to the computer.
For the price of it I might just put a coil in. I do know a guy with an hsv I can test parts off his car.
It's a fault that's so easy to replicate you think it would be way easy to fix.

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Interesting.
Care to share what you used as a sensor and what pin the wiring goes to?

I robbed a knock sensor off a pre ecotec motor as they are the same part number, took the plug off the block behind the starter. Can't quite remember which plug I had to add to the computer loom D5?, B5? I can find paperwork. The computer and memcal were out of a VR 185i HSV so has a knock board on it. I had the VATs removed.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I had the VATs removed.
This. Did you have it done by an eBay seller at a cost of around $50 or so? If so, I’ve personally had issues and know of several others that have too.

Double check you added the knock sensor wire to the right pin. Also do some data logging using tunerpro and see what activity you’re getting from the o2 sensor.

I had an issue with my vs 5L where it would go to 20+afr as soon as it went into closed loop. Ran a new signal wire for the o2 sensor and it fixed it.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I robbed a knock sensor off a pre ecotec motor as they are the same part number, took the plug off the block behind the starter. Can't quite remember which plug I had to add to the computer loom D5?, B5? I can find paperwork. The computer and memcal were out of a VR 185i HSV so has a knock board on it. I had the VATs removed.
I thought V6 and V8's knock at different frequencies so need different sensor. But you could be right and it's all in the memcal so sensors are the same.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I thought V6 and V8's knock at different frequencies so need different sensor. But you could be right and it's all in the memcal so sensors are the same.
They have different knock boards/filters apparently. The sensor itself is the same

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, different knock boards on the memcal.

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
This. Did you have it done by an eBay seller at a cost of around $50 or so? If so, I’ve personally had issues and know of several others that have too.

Double check you added the knock sensor wire to the right pin. Also do some data logging using tunerpro and see what activity you’re getting from the o2 sensor.

I had an issue with my vs 5L where it would go to 20+afr as soon as it went into closed loop. Ran a new signal wire for the o2 sensor and it fixed it.

I think ill have to get it into an auto sparky and run it across the scanner