Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Issues. Jeckle and Hyde

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I robbed a knock sensor off a pre ecotec motor as they are the same part number, took the plug off the block behind the starter. Can't quite remember which plug I had to add to the computer loom D5?, B5? I can find paperwork. The computer and memcal were out of a VR 185i HSV so has a knock board on it. I had the VATs removed.

D5 is correct, but the knock sensor location for the standard 185i is on the middle, driver side of the engine.

Attachments

• VS V8 Knock Sensor System.pdf
    285 KB · Views: 226

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Knock sensor and loom wouldn't cause the problems you describe anyway, unless you accidentally pinned it wrong... strange things can happen. When it encounters knock, the pcm moves from the high octane spark table to low octane spark table. It won't go any lower than the low octane spark table, which it'll still run okay on.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VS doesn't have 2 tables, just spark table and then knock retard. the duel table stuff was only introduced with the maf based tunes iirc.

I still think O2 problem. Really need to see what it's doing when running.

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
D5 is correct, but the knock sensor location for the standard 185i is on the middle, driver side of the engine.

Ah all the research I'd done said passengers behind the starter. Oh well job for another day then.

VS doesn't have 2 tables, just spark table and then knock retard. the duel table stuff was only introduced with the maf based tunes iirc.

I still think O2 problem. Really need to see what it's doing when running.

I still think O2 problem. Really need to see what it's doing when

The max upload is 5mb so I can put up a video.
It will slowly pick up to 3000rpm then just falls flat no matter how hard you put your foot down, it will even pop sometimes.
I put it on a scanner to check fault codes today and none.
Ordered a set of sensors for it today and will go through one at a time.
I'll check that top dead center is marked correctly too.
But for now I've parked it up, have 2 more work days then it the annual duck shooting long weekend trip away.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Well that would explain it, assumed earlier ones would be similar. Finally got my nvram in though - making changes in realtime seems almost too good to be true lol

anyway, continue :p

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
I have replaced the O2 and the TPS with new out of the package units and just the same!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Finally got my nvram in though - making changes in realtime seems almost too good to be true lol

anyway, continue :p
Nice. I've been looking at doing that in the near future.
Need my tune converted to 11p and in the car first though.

Walkers Bay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
Update. Got it!
Must have been a combo deal of 2 sensors that tested fine but reading out of range. Was the TPS because the trans shifting nicer between 1st and 2nd now. And I have no O2 lean code now, plus it runs just as nice cold as warm.
What a frustrating journey, now time to enjoy driving it.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited: