Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 loses power under acceleration

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Hi guys, an issue that has suddenly popped up.

Under heavy acceleration the car will just loose power when revs hit 3500-4000 and return to idle. The car does not stall. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, probably around 50% - 75% of the times I try to get it to happen.

To get it going again, a brief accelerator lift off is all that's needed. If I keep my foot on it, it will pick up again after a couple of seconds with a slight backfire.

Car just had a service and was working perfectly prior, not that I think anything was caused by the service (engine oil, filters, brake and coolant flush).

The fuel tank is almost empty, could this be the issue?

Thanks!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Fill your tank and let us know if you still have the problem.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Change fuel filter, put some fuel in and re test.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Fuel pumps don't like it when tanks run dry or low, also water floats on top of fuel so maybe at a servo station filling up you got some bad fuel with water in it, I would put a cap of Metho into the tank just in case when you top it up.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Fuel pumps don't like it when tanks run dry or low, also water floats on top of fuel so maybe at a servo station filling up you got some bad fuel with water in it, I would put a cap of Metho into the tank just in case when you top it up.

Fuel floats on top of water not the other way around. That's why the bottom of metal tanks rust out.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I normally add a 750ml bottle of metho if I suspect I've got a tank of contaminated fuel. I did the maths years ago and it took a fair bit to absorb the water I suspected. Metho only burns and raises the fuel octane rating for a short whie.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Ok problem solved. Thanks guys.

New fuel filter and full tank of fuel sorted it out. Pulled the fuel filter, it had a manufacture date of 2003 on it!

Car was in storage since 2008 but makes me wonder if any of the workshops ever changed it during servicing since I bought the car in 2004.

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS

Hey it was a simple honest misteak, stop with the sneaky barbs, get over it and move along.
I’m sure you never wanked with the wrong hand :eek: Mr Backyard Wrecker