Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 LPG right system?

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
hey i have a vs v8.
ive been told this is a crappy lpg system.
i want economy but i want POWER more :D

it says on it
longas airod
class.1/2a
file.php

file.php

file.php

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
That is a pretty old system.

Mixer style LPG systems can take up to 1/3rd of the power away on some engines.

If you want to retain your power or even get some more by taking advantage of the higher octane rating of LPG you will need a Vapour Injection LPG system.

With Vapour injection and a good tune you can get better power figures than Premium Unleaded and very reliable (where as the mixer systems aren't)

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If the only criteria was extra power it might be cheapest $/kW to simply remove the LPG. Whether that's the way to go or not will depend upon what the current system is costing in terms of power, how much, if anything, you can sell the parts for and how far you intend to travel on the petrol alone (km's/yr X yrs that you will own the car).

Yes, vapour phase injection will not lose power in the same way some mixer style LPG systems can but they're also expensive. It would be hard to justify on an economic rationale the cost of dumping the current system, that already gets you the fuel cost saving of LPG, only to replace it with a different system.

How much is a cam and exhaust, using the current LPG system, vs a vapour phase system with stock cam and exhaust?

Have you actually looked to see how much restriction the mixer is causing. While you don't have a MAP sensor standard they are both inexpensive (used) and easy to set up. Measure the voltage out of that: ignition on, engine off, as a baseline of atmospheric pressure; WOT on LPG (and petrol if you like), mixer in place and WOT mixer removed (disable the LPG so you can't get LPG flow without the mixer in place and add back in the air duct in its place as that will only be a few $$ to do). That will tell you how much manifold pressure you are losing through flow restriction with the current mixer.

You could use MAF voltage instead to make a similar assessment but it won't give you a direct measure of the pressure loss, only its effect.

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
i love my lpg being so cheap. but this **** system has no power and tends to backfire sometimes.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's a V8. Want economy go buy a lancer.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It's a V8. Want economy go buy a lancer.

Agreed......Don't cheap out on a V8......no point putting a V8 on gas if it's going to run slower than a V6 with a mixer system (I know mine did when it was on LPG)