Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 manual conversion. V6 or V8 manual box easier/cheaper.

Rusty-Tim

Rusty-Tim
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute, VN wag, VR sed, VN sed, HX Tonner, HA Viva
Looking at putting a manual vn-vs v8 in my HX tonner. Im leaning towards a vs v8 but finding one complete with manual box is looking expensive. I have a 5spd conversion from an old series 1 VN v6. How hard is it to convert the v6 box to fit v8? And is there any difficulty finding a flywheel to suit a vs v8? Im in NZ where the v8s are thinner on the ground and asking big money a lot of the time. Looking into the possibilty of buying a crashed damaged v8 from manheimfowles in melbourne then next time im over in melb ripping the engine, box, loom computer out and throwing on a pallet. Has anyone had dealings with mainheims damaged branch in oz? How much is a write off worth over there?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Yes 8 bolt manual flywheels are rare as hens teeth, and as such attract a premium price. Yes im pretty sure you can use a v6 box. I beleive the input shaft needs swapping to the v8 one, and the bell housing needs swapping. Besides that i beleive they work ok albeit there is some minimal ratio differences.
Great motor for a hx conversion, bloke at work has had his done and hes extremely pleased with it. As far as cheap, your just gonna have to see what you can find. Parts are cheap here in aus, but freight will be your cost then.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Best get a V8 T5 as they were built a bit stronger

Clint_G

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS
i was told that its hard to get a v8 input shaft when i was inquiring about it for my old man. was told its easy and cheaper to get a v8 box