Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 mods

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That cable's probably been fitted incorrectly - they don't really stretch. Since it's a conversion it's hard to say what the previous owner's done to get the cable to fit. You should be able to get full throttle - so that's probably part of your problem. What's been done at the firewall? Does the cable still have the rubber grommet/spacer around the end at the firewall?

And yeah gtrboy's right - push the button in on the TV cable and pull the outter cable away from the throttlebody. Then turn the throttle to WOT by hand, and you'll see the TV cable ratchet. Leave the cable wherever it ends up. You can generally move it one click either way without ill effect from this position though if you're wanting to adjust driveability/shift harshness.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
You could bend the pedal up in the car might get you enough will definitely be better with full throttle lol

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
460DBD1E-C406-4831-80F4-C9D68A71E982.jpeg
That cable's probably been fitted incorrectly - they don't really stretch. Since it's a conversion it's hard to say what the previous owner's done to get the cable to fit. You should be able to get full throttle - so that's probably part of your problem. What's been done at the firewall? Does the cable still have the rubber grommet/spacer around the end at the firewall?

And yeah gtrboy's right - push the button in on the TV cable and pull the outter cable away from the throttlebody. Then turn the throttle to WOT by hand, and you'll see the TV cable ratchet. Leave the cable wherever it ends up. You can generally move it one click either way without ill effect from this position though if you're wanting to adjust driveability/shift harshness.

Firewall looks fine. They do sell cables to suit conversions on eBay for $90 so maybe it’s worth getting one and replacing it.

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
You could bend the pedal up in the car might get you enough will definitely be better with full throttle lol
That’s an idea but looks pretty thick. Be hard to bend....

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
could always put a couple of washers around that firewall grommet to space it out a tad. I'd take the pedal out and give it a couple of taps with a hammer in the vise as delcowizzid said lol. Would work fine as long as you don't go crazy with it.

It that the factory firewall hole or has it been taken from a later model? I wouldn't spend that sort of money on a new cable if you can make this one work.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Or just get a new end put on the cable with an inch cut off

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah that cable looks weird which was why thought probably 6cyl cable.

On my carb'd vh sle after adjusting all slack out of the adjustment still didn't have full throttle so bent top of accelerator pedal arm as much as I could but still needed more so then lifted carpet up ripped out small section of thick insulation where pedal bottoms out...actually made a difference!!!

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
Yeah that cable looks weird which was why thought probably 6cyl cable.

On my carb'd vh sle after adjusting all slack out of the adjustment still didn't have full throttle so bent top of accelerator pedal arm as much as I could but still needed more so then lifted carpet up ripped out small section of thick insulation where pedal bottoms out...actually made a difference!!!

Yeah I have done the same under the pedal to make more room as it has the same thick sponge/rubber insulation.

I have managed to adjust it but am yet to test it on the road. Will do tonight or tomorrow.

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
I finally went for a drive with the throttle adjusted and it goes a little bit better but hardly any change to be honest. I am yet to check the timing. I forgot to check when its shifting though so need to do that also.