Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 oil pickup

_vendetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman II
Hi Guys,

About to pull the sump off my 304 to clean it out (low oil pressure), I’m replacing the oil pump and I was wondering whether it’s worth replacing the oil pickup with an aeroflow one while I’m at it, or should I just soak it in diesel and see what comes out.

Is the aeroflow item any better than the stock pickup?

Also looking to get a full gasket kit, anyone know if these are any good?

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/171904907...MImezJ5LmM5AIVmg4rCh1MzQETEAkYDSABEgIFSPD_BwE

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
No just use the stock pickup.

I’ve used 5R gaskets and seals without issue and would use them again. Just make sure you get a rubber sump gasket and not a cork one in whichever kit you go for

_vendetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman II
Too easy, thanks mate!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The attachment is from VS Commodore Issues. Sounds like regular oil changes are one way of minimising sludge buildup with the standard oil pickup strainer.

It's interesting that the same problem isn't listed among the VT Commodore issues. Maybe Holden made some changes to the strainer?

V8 Oil pressure V8 - Some VS V8 engine suffer from oil circulation problems and low oil pressure at cold idle. The oil pick-up strainer in VS's is smaller than earlier models, and is easily clogged by carbon deposits in the oil system. Insufficient servicing of the oiling system can increase carbon and soot deposits in the oil system, which can cause general oil circulation problems. Scheduled servicing and oil system cleaners can reduce carbon build up, but in extreme cases the sump and pick-up need to be removed and thoroughly cleaned to rectify oil pickup/pressure problems.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Aeroflow oil pickup looks like a copy of the factory 308 pickup from a Commodore but without the little shield around the bottom. And yes, I would say it is better than the later 304 style acorn type oil pickup which is prone to getting blocked.

Having said that, would I spend $140 for pickup when you can clean a fix what you have? probably not for a stocker. If I was building a racer or something hipo I would look at another pickup but then I'd be looking at the ASR pickup which is probably the best one on the market today

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tk recommends sticking with the acorn style pickup or so I’ve read. Purely because it’s less likely to suck air I believe. To use an earlier style pickup you’d need to cut the baffles in the sump to suit. Personally I’ll just use the acorn style.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If the pickup height from the bottom of the sump is the same then I don't see how one can suck air before the other? I certainly wouldn't bother to change it for the sake of changing it.

I recently picked up a NZV8 enlarged and baffled/gated sump which has an ASR type pickup but then I intend to turn a few more RPM than stock so worth the investment I think and in the scheme of things it was cheap too.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Have you written down hot & cold idle pressures?
Wet & dry compression tested motor?
Checked if & when blows smoke..colour & when does it do it?
*then can fix whatever it needs in one go whilst apart.

I'd soak & clean pickup you have already assumiing it's ok & not full of debri.

It's either clogged from poor servicing or low oil pressure from worn bearings/high mileage.

Use gasket kit with reusable rubber sump & rocker cover gaskets.

Can probably get away with blueprinting your own oil pump...great thread on aussiev8 site how-to.

New timing chain,weld or centre punch cam bolt hole & tighten up chain oiler tube if you want..some people close them completely

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I'm using the early 304 flat disc style pick up, but would prefer the acorn. (maybe next time aye).
Acorn has less surface area so less likely to find air. But regular maintenance is a must anyway, you would just get away with more on an earlier style.