Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 or LS1, personal opinions.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
Old 5 litre for me. Why? Because a 355 can easily run 10's and still be streetable. While the LS1's can aswell and for cheaper, it's my choice to spend a little bit more and have the quick 355.

but its not a little more its a **** load more. pretty sure a 355 costs at least 10g. that wont get u 10's alone. ull probably need a **** load of nos or FI or both. LS1's can run 10's with nothing more then a cam change, exhaust, diff gears and a big highstall. all that comes in at well under 10g. Theres even an ls1 ute that i know of that runs 11.4 with the motor being stock standard.

FusionX

Reaction score
I can think of atleast 4 cars in WA running 355's that run 10's without nitrous or forced induction (including my own and the current WA Super Street Champion) It all comes down the having done research and testing, which is where the expense is. The wrong manifold can cost half a second, wrong tyre sizing, another half a second. Head/Cam/manifold selection is critial on these things, with the right knowledge, its easy to make them quick. You said it in your first post, you don't know 355/383's.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
I can think of atleast 4 cars in WA running 355's that run 10's without nitrous or forced induction (including my own and the current WA Super Street Champion) It all comes down the having done research and testing, which is where the expense is. The wrong manifold can cost half a second, wrong tyre sizing, another half a second. Head/Cam/manifold selection is critial on these things, with the right knowledge, its easy to make them quick. You said it in your first post, you don't know 355/383's.

ok well i stand correct, but it would still cost a **** load more then it would an ls1. how much has it cost you too run 10's?

crewsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sierra
ok well i stand correct, but it would still cost a **** load more then it would an ls1. how much has it cost you too run 10's?

I definately think it would cost more to get a 5L to run 10's.
Nothing sounds as good though and with a couple of mods like diff gears, cam swap and heads, I think the sound of a 5L is good enough for the power it makes too then :)

FusionX

Reaction score
To build the driveline (motor/box/diff) looking around $15,000 to do it again.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The thing to remember is that on a street car setup to drive on the street, in any Commodore with any engine you like. You wont run faster than about a mid 12. So unless you are going to live at a drag strip there's no difference in real world pace between a 200rwkw 5 litre and a 320rwkw off it's nut LS1 or 355 stroker. The only difference becomes how much wheelspin you are going to get,. On street tyres I've beatin heaps of 250-300+rwkw over the 1/8th mile and it's even worse for them on the street on street tyres to the speed limit. Have a look at Pinky's Wagon he's a 355 stroker and can run 0-60 mph in 4.1? seconds. It's as far as I know the fastest street car on the street on any Commodore forum (by a long way faster than anything else). And that's not making huge amounts of power

BradSV8

Nitrous Junkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Any ls1 any day of the week over a 5L. All you need is a tune and diff gears. If you have an auto a stall wouldnt hurt either and that will smash 90% of 5L on the road. I have driven both and will take ls1 every time. As for the sound well the ls1 in front of you isn't gunna hear your 5L anyway.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Theres no opinion needed on it.

5L is you want the best sounding motor available in a holden
LS1 if you want anything other than sound (specifically cheap power)

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
why need a fast car on the street anyway, id rather sacrifice power for a good sound considering i just like to cruise, im yet to hear an ls1 that sounds half as good as a 5l

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
why need a fast car on the street anyway, id rather sacrifice power for a good sound considering i just like to cruise, im yet to hear an ls1 that sounds half as good as a 5l

well if u dont care about going fast why get a v8 in the first place. this whole sound thing is all 5 liter drivers have lol. LS1's sound plenty good with an exhaust. cammed ls1's sound brilliant. all in all ls1 is wayyyy better, but theres always going to be somthing better. the l98/ls3 is making the ls1 look pretty average these days anyway.