Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 powercruise build

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
300rwkw should be safe enough on stock internals

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
300rwkw should be safe enough on stock internals

Really? My internals have seen some use. Some 278XXX KMS. She is pretty tired and lathargic. Hence my desire to go a full build.

H

harrop.senator

Re ring mls hg , arp rod bolts and a turbo grind would be lucious. They're low comp as with a good tune you'd be surprised how long low comp motors stockers handle boost. Haven't done a v8 yet mines in the works but ive pushed 20 pounds in 200k old na rb30s lol. Had mate with 17 out of a t04e out of a generator on a buick v6 no tune with a 7th injector on a Hobbs switch that lasted daily thrashing for a year or two.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Good thing about a v8 is they still have good torque off boost. Turbo's work well with auto's and tall diff gears. For those power levels you'll want a decent auto and a good converter (the factory one will balloon and push the crank into the thrust face in the rear main bearing.

TBH I wouldn't even bother pulling the engine apart straight off. Plumb it all up and have it tuned to work with the standard engine. Then build up another good bottom end with forged crank/rods, decent cam, MLS gaskets etc. so you'll have a good bottom end ready to go if the other one dies. Wind the boost up on the new bottom end.

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
Good thing about a v8 is they still have good torque off boost. Turbo's work well with auto's and tall diff gears. For those power levels you'll want a decent auto and a good converter (the factory one will balloon and push the crank into the thrust face in the rear main bearing.

TBH I wouldn't even bother pulling the engine apart straight off. Plumb it all up and have it tuned to work with the standard engine. Then build up another good bottom end with forged crank/rods, decent cam, MLS gaskets etc. so you'll have a good bottom end ready to go if the other one dies. Wind the boost up on the new bottom end.

I read in street commodores there is no off the shelf kits for turbo setups. Does that mean any setup i may choose to run would have to be custom built?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I read in street commodores there is no off the shelf kits for turbo setups. Does that mean any setup i may choose to run would have to be custom built?

Yep

You can get supercharger kits from Whipple/Harrop I'm pretty sure but nothing for Turbo off the shelf etc, thats all custom and half the fun.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Plenty of guys jigged up for 304 Turbo manifolds and cooler kits now days Tonys garage on Facebook is one

H

harrop.senator

Few off the shelf manifold and dump sets ups cooler pipings easy with Universal bends etc.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Also keep in mind (back to cams sorry) that if you decide for a roller cam, there is more airflow with the same duration compared to a flat tappet.
Google image them both. One is like a rolling hill and the other is like a mountain peak.

H

harrop.senator

With the powers hes chasing id say he'd be going a mechanical flat tappet do the rollers still out lift those or much of muchness?