Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 retro roller lifter parts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute, VN V8 Berlina Wags
So ive searched this forum and googled it and cant quite find the answer.
Do you know what roller lifters will fit a non roller block. Will be running a baby cam. Something similar to sv5000 cam. Just a little step up from std.
Even a full valve train kit. Looking at the k501 crow valve train kit. (Flat tappet)
Want to go retro roller.
Cheers

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Roller cam will be $600-900 plus the same again for lifters and maybe $200 for pushrods. So you'd be looking at around 2-2.5k for the roller setup alone. You'll be limited in lift depending on lifter choice and the base circle of the cam due to the short lifter bores (to prevent loss of oil pressure).

Ls1 tiebar lifters fit, but it seems that lunati, morel and crane are the main ones people are using with the roller cam blocks (or bushed lifter bores). Crane make a specific retro fit tie bar style lifter for the Holden v8's with shorter lifter bores I believe.

The stock roller cam in 179kw v8's is around the same specs as the sv5000 cam. Might as well source a good vs s3 or vt engine for under 1k.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Pontiac parts are a direct fit into the Holden block. You can get these from the US, places like Summit also list these same roller lifters to suit the Holden engines. Howard Cams in the US can do complete kits to suit the Holden engines.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac parts are a direct fit into the Holden block. You can get these from the US, places like Summit also list these same roller lifters to suit the Holden engines. Howard Cams in the US can do complete kits to suit the Holden engines.
I thought this could be the case. Sounds like getting correct block wood b cheaper?
Thanks for the advice

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not really, you don't need $1000 roller lifters for a mild engine build. I know one guy that has used the Pontiac roller lifters in early style blocks, both 355 strokers making a genuine 450 hp+

A smallish roller cam in a early block will not be a problem.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not really, you don't need $1000 roller lifters for a mild engine build. I know one guy that has used the Pontiac roller lifters in early style blocks, both 355 strokers making a genuine 450 hp+

A smallish roller cam in a early block will not be a problem.
So this wood work fine? http://howardscams.com/i-24079862

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its an everyday car. Not chasing big numbers. Better than stock yeah sure but i dont wanna destroy fuel economy and i want reliability.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
No reason it shouldn't. That cam has fairly tight LSA but a daily streeter. Maybe contact them and see what they say.