Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Roller cam choice.

lowace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
I have been trying to decide on a cam upgrade for my ute which would give it a little better performance and still be able to be used as a daily drive. I have some cams specs I received from a cam grinder in Sydney suggesting this would be a good upgrade for my otherwise stock vs s3 ute, the only mods it has is pacemakers and exhaust but mid next year I will be rebuilding the engine and stroking to 355 with 9.5.1 comp so idealy I don't really want to buy 2 cams in the space of 12 months if it can be helped.
Anyways here are the following specs of the suggested cam and the others listed are some of the ones I'm considering. Please feel free to comment and recommend any other better solutions.
1. Cam grinders suggestion
Adv duration Inlet 270 Ex 276
.050 duration 218 224
Lift .544 .552
108LSA
The other cams I'm thinking are the crane compu cam 2030 and the crow efi hydraulic roller which has the following
IN/Ex 285/279
.050 222/217
lift is .548 on both and ground on 112lsa.
Any help would be great.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
save your cash, do it properly when you build the new engine, think it over in the meantime

i currently have a Crane 888241 in my VS with a Vt roller block, which is stroked to 355 and running 10:1

essentially my plan for my engine started off as just a cam upgrade, which i had purchased a compucam2030, which i never fitted and sold off

the list went on from there

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Both Options have mild durations but I prefer number 1 because of the earlier intake duration and tighter lsa will also sound meaner as a bonus.

This is assuming your still going to use the bananas.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's later series 3 with maf better check it can still be tuned with your cam choice.

If it's earlier map sensor ecu go for gold.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
If it's later series 3 with maf better check it can still be tuned with your cam choice.

If it's earlier map sensor ecu go for gold.

Mine is, although i had my tuner delete the MAF and fit a Map sensor, but still runs sequential injection setup, still on the Delco computer

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Wow! Cool that it can be done now.

Years ago putting 195i/getrag in torana nobody wanted to know about it so just did all bolt on mods memcal/exhaust/gears/airbox

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
I had the same issue, spoke to a couple of other tuners beforehand, they either weren't interested or wanted to use a Haltech

there is only 1 place here in Adelaide that still does the delco computers, that i know off

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Vaguely remember Dicks Electronics something might be in the works but never heard any more of it,vs-vt customer cars usually converted to map ecu back then.

Might have to ask one of the pcmhacking tuners what can be done with them these days.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The enhanced tunes available on the PCMHacking forum cover the V8 MAF stuff with extended tables so you can use LS style MAFs for increased flow with airflow and rpm/ignition tables extended over the factory stuff.

See PCM Hacking Forum - Enhanced Factory Bins

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I've also got the crane 888241 110 lsa in my 195i. Power really kicks in at about 2200rpm, all the way up to 6200 rpm.
Had my vt 304 195i converted to mafless 7 years ago.
Kalmaker did the chip.
Electronic automotive in Epping vic also do a mafless tune for the 5 litre.