Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Roller lifters

lowace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Hi all looks like my series 3 ute has done a lifter which I thought would be odd being of a roller type. I have been searching for replacements and have noticed that the prices vary wildly, some people are saying they are the same as an ls1 while others are saying supercharged v6 obviously the prices are cheaper for ls1 due to popularity. Just trying to get some clarification so I can order a set and a new cam whilst I'm at it, bear in mind its a daily driver so I'm not chasing a $1200 set of lifters.
Also does anyone know the best place to get a memcal done to suit the new cam.
Thanks in advance

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Usually this happens because the lifter retainer plays breaks which lets a lifter turn and destroys your cam and the rest of your bottom end. If you're lucky and have caught it in time, there are a couple of ways to go about fixing it.

1) Find another lifter retainer plate, buy another roller cam and fit lifters from an ecotec (they're the same).

2) Replace with a flat tappet cam (cheapest option) at around $400-500 if you can do the work yourself. A crane 268 is approximately the right size and will work perfectly with your existing tune.

3) Replace with another roller cam and buy ls3 lunati or morel tie bar lifters (apparently they work, I haven't tried it myself). This is the most expensive option, but definitely the best.

If you just have a collapsed lifter, consider yourself lucky and just put an ecotec lifter in.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
Hi all looks like my series 3 ute has done a lifter which I thought would be odd being of a roller type. I have been searching for replacements and have noticed that the prices vary wildly, some people are saying they are the same as an ls1 while others are saying supercharged v6 obviously the prices are cheaper for ls1 due to popularity. Just trying to get some clarification so I can order a set and a new cam whilst I'm at it, bear in mind its a daily driver so I'm not chasing a $1200 set of lifters.
Also does anyone know the best place to get a memcal done to suit the new cam.
Thanks in advance

i ended up using tie bar lifters that were about $800ish, cant remember the brand, the problem is if you buy another retainer plate, the same thing could happen, most of them have done 150,000-300,000k's by now and they start to fatigue and fail

Also not all VS series 3 utes were roller cam if yours is built in December 1998/January 1999 or later it ill be roller cam and the engine number will start with VM, if its up till and including November 1998 it will be the standard non roller v8 and the engine number will start with VU

lowace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Thanks for the replies guys, my ute is a roller as its an Olympic edition built in may 2000 so its the last of them.
EYY I have looked into the hydraulic flat tappet option as its by far the cheapest alternative for the daily driver option. Are you saying that the standard computer will work fine with the 286 cam or will I require a re tune?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You can't use a 286 with the standard tune. You can use a 268 and will work well - I've done it myself with the factory 195i tune.