Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 slow cold start & stalling

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Hi guys,

Have a VP Calais I'm slowly trying to get back on the road. It has been in storage since 2008 (started and driven around the block maybe 5 times since 2008). It has 151,000 km on it.

It has this issue on cold starts where it cranks for a while, fires then is pretty rough/uneven for about a minute. Its like a really lazy start. It eventually settles down and smooths out but if I give it a rev, it doesn't return to idle and just stalls. Restart it, and it fires up straight away like it should, and behaves perfectly. Idles perfect, no stalling, stumbling, hesitation etc.

I have given it a service. Replaced fuel filter and the muck that fell out of it was brown. Rusty tank?

Going back through my service records to see whats been done and when:
  • Fuel injectors cleaned 104,000 km.
  • Ignition leads (Topgun 8 mm) 104,000 km.
  • Oxygen sensor 120,000 km.
  • Spark plugs (NGK-BPR6EF) 131,000 km. I pulled these the other day and they looked good.
  • Fuel pump 139,000 km.
As far as I know, the rotor button, coil and ignition module are original. But given the car runs fine as described above, I'm not leaning towards an ignition issue.

Does this sound like a fuel pressure issue? The fuel pump is pretty new (well replaced in 2008 but only 12,000 km on it) but could have the rubbish I found in the filter stuffed the pump?

Thanks!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Possibly injectors leaking down. Do you have a fresh tank of fuel?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Possible some of the finer crud made it through and clogged the injectors.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
All fresh 98? Modern fuel goes stale in maybe 6 months then the engine won't start or idle. I've spent a lot of time on other engines trying to fix problems that in the end were caused by stale fuel.
You might have water in the tank from condensation over all those years. If it's only a small amount of water a 1 litre bottle of metho will absorb it and then burn in the engine.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Have you taken it for decent drive yet? Run through a few heat cycles?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The metho absorbs any water in the tank then to get rid of it you need to burn the metho/petrol mix. If you can find a low point under the tank that you can tap for fuel, drain some and leave it in a clear glass jar. Any water present will settle to the bottom.

Chrominium

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L Ute
Hey you'll probably find the stalling issue after start up is caused by the 98 octane fuel, try just running 91 and see how you go.