Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 stroked to 355 ECU

Blaths

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 355
Hi All
I've just had a 304 EFi engine rebuild, engine can from a VR and was standard, the crank was damaged so have replaced that with a 355 crank and a mild cam added other then that engine is standard. Will the ECU for the 304 run the rebuilt 355 or do I have to replace the ECU with an after market ECU and get dyno tuned or get an ECU for a 355 that came out of a VR?

Cheers

Blaths

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Your options are to have the factory VR ecu re-tuned or fit an aftermarket ecu and have that tuned. It depends on what your local tuners will be able to tune. Generally speaking I recommend the factory ecu as it a decent pcm.

The other option is to learn to tune it yourself, there is heaps of info available online at the PCM Hacking forum

What cam have you fitted to the engine?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Obviously you did 355 crank rods and pistons not just the crank or it wouldn't work.i can probably make you a tune to suit

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
True he's only an hour or so away send me a pm blaths I can tune it for you

Blaths

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 355
Yes done rods and pistons as well. The engine still has the original injectors, will these need to be replaced with bigger injectors to suit the 355, if so what injectors would you recommend? What info would you need to do the tune? Sorry not sure how to PM you with the info on the page.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The 24lb bluetop injectors that come in 355 might be enough depending on cam specs and exhaust flow might be a set at pickapart if they have a couple of Mitsubishi magnas up there with any left in.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi All
I've just had a 304 EFi engine rebuild, engine can from a VR and was standard, the crank was damaged so have replaced that with a 355 crank and a mild cam added other then that engine is standard. Will the ECU for the 304 run the rebuilt 355 or do I have to replace the ECU with an after market ECU and get dyno tuned or get an ECU for a 355 that came out of a VR?

Cheers

Blaths
What compression you end up with?
What cam did you use?
What intake manifold are you using?

Might be able to share info with my 355" VR ecu file

Blaths

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 355
Your options are to have the factory VR ecu re-tuned or fit an aftermarket ecu and have that tuned. It depends on what your local tuners will be able to tune. Generally speaking I recommend the factory ecu as it a decent pcm.

The other option is to learn to tune it yourself, there is heaps of info available online at the PCM Hacking forum

What cam have you fitted to the engine?
Thanks very much for that. the cam is a 282 by Comp cams, that any good as the bloke rebuilding the engine got it?

Blaths

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 355
What compression you end up with?
What cam did you use?
What intake manifold are you using?

Might be able to share info with my 355" VR ecu file
Not sure what the compression is, cam is a 282 by Comp cam and its got the standard EFI intake