Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 vk conversion

304 vk sl wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl wagon
im needing some help with my conversion. have a 1994 vr series 2 executive that ive pulled the 304 motor and 4l60e box from that im trying to put into my vk sl wagon. ive already got a vl wagon fuel tank witch i swapped the fuel sender unit with thr vr was a good fit. wondering if i could run the entire vr harness into my vk and fuel lines etc etc

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
Use the vl fuel lines if your wagon was not efi you need extra return line for tank.
Yes you will use the entire 304 loom ecu, but there are different ways to set it all up so you need to ask specific questions to how your doing your electrical layout to get answers you need

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The VR harness will not fit too easy and there will be modifications needed.

It is easier to do an LS swap or just run the 304 heads on the 308 with a VN auto.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Still got vr donor car for parts?
Is your wagon later model with borgwarner diff...flat diff flange or yoke?
Was it efi model or carb?

From vr v8 donor basically need everything from radiator & tiebar underneath it all the way to front half of tailshaft/centre bearing.
You'll need it if you want factory like result & saves heap of time & hassle.

vr v8 donor is easier starting point than vs to wire up,vn/p are old & busted up or missing stuff & vs series 3 or vt 5l driveline too much hassle & wiring headaches.

Read up Leigh_G build on his sl/x as got info of how to do it then maybe a few of us will chime in as you progress along.

304 vk sl wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl wagon
I've sorted the harness out. The vr radiator doesn't fit so I've ordered one that will the problems I'm running into is how am I getting my speedo to work and no my vk is a carby model I've already got a vl wagon tank with a vr fuel sender unit installed also

304 vk sl wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl wagon
Also I get what your saying when you say it's cheaper to ls swap but not in my case as I already have a donor car with the 304 I don't have an ls nor do I have the ridiculous amount of money people want for one so it's cheaper for me to do the 304 conversion as I have everything.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vr radiator fits when cut out tiebar underneath to fit vr tiebar in...essentially converting car to be more like vn-s models means better parts & availibility in long run.

For instance you ordered vk v8 radiator now have to fcuk with top radiator hose & probably vk fan shroud...if changed to vr tiebar could have used all vr gear or even cheaper/lighter/nicer route vs series 3 radiator($129) with vs v6 single thermo ($30)

Fuel line doesn't matter as you'd have to make extra line fuel line up anyway being a wagon & can use other factory line as return just bend it up closer to brake booster.

Ls swap ain't cheaper if already got cheap complete vn-vs 304 donor car & parts...just have to know what you're doing & combination of parts.

Do research saves you time,money & headache.

304 vk sl wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sl wagon
im needing some help with my conversion. have a 1994 vr series 2 executive that ive pulled the 304 motor and 4l60e box from that im trying to put into my vk sl wagon. ive already got a vl wagon fuel tank witch i swapped the fuel sender unit with thr vr was a good fit. wondering if i could run the entire vr harness into my vk and fuel lines etc etc
Ok so the progress is going great the engine is in the fuel set up and wiring is done she fires up nicely all I have left is the exhaust so I've ordered a set of 2 1/2 inch genie extractors but apparently won't fit unless I have power steering so now I'm stuck on that

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ok so the progress is going great the engine is in the fuel set up and wiring is done she fires up nicely all I have left is the exhaust so I've ordered a set of 2 1/2 inch genie extractors but apparently won't fit unless I have power steering so now I'm stuck on that

Power steer generally has less clearance than manual steer, so I would suggest enquiring at an exhaust place about that

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
so I've ordered a set of 2 1/2 inch genie extractors but apparently won't fit unless I have power steering so now I'm stuck on that
You have ordered something that doesn:t fit unless you have powering steering ?? Doesn:t make sense.
Any extractors fit if you have manual steering.