Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 vr satesman

Miguel304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon Berlina 5ltr
I have a 304 statesman that’s not goeting oil to all the lifters in the top end
It was coming up with a low oil pressure light so I replaced the oil pump and cleaned all the lifters since then low oil pressure light comes on and sounds like the top end isn’t get oil to all the lifters I shimmed the oil pressure relief valve in oil pump and oil pressure light has gone but still sounds like it’s not getting oil to some of the lifters there tapping and some rockers are dry. Could this be a result of blocked oil galleries
The service history of the car is poor
What can I do ?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Did you do an oil change? What condition was the out going oil?
It could be something blocking a lifter from passing oil....

Miguel304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon Berlina 5ltr
Deuce I have done three oil changes in the space of a week and the old oil was **** black and thick I took the rocket covers off and full of ****
I started it this morning ran good for about 5min then as soon as I reversed oil light was on and lifters started tapping agin

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The pickups on 304's are undersized for that engine (think the size of a 10c coin).

If theres any sludge it will come loose and block the pickup and you'll lose oil pressure. It's the most common fault on these engines (I see a post/thread about this issue about 3-4 times a week). The oil pumps on these engines are next to bullet proof, it's the least likely thing to be at fault here.

Either that or your bearing clearances in the bottom end are excessive and you are losing oil pressure there depending on how many km the engine has when the oil starts to warm up and thin out.

But I'd say it's the oil pickup, no other fix other than to pull the sump and check it, but don't run it with no oil pressure until you fix it. It only takes 30 seconds to nuke an engine with no oil pressure. Once you pull the sump, if you can see metal particulates in the sump, your in for a bad time.

Miguel304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon Berlina 5ltr
Some guy 360
I have blown the pick up out with a compressor and blew heaps of **** out then did a oil change and I think the car only has 250xxxx on it and there is still oil pressure in the motor just is gets oil to the rockers for 5 min or so then lifters start tapping And then oil light comes on

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If there is is sludge up top you will probably have to pull the rocker covers and wash the heads down with kero, with the sump off and wash it down with plenty of clean kero. Probably going to be cleaning the pick up a three or four times before the most of the sludge is out. You may end up needing new lifters or at least a really good soak in thinners for a few days and work them until they are clean.
There have been a few threads over the last couple of years with badly sludged engines and it normally ends up with the engine needing tearing down.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
In that case:
Option 1 - strip motor, clean and rebuild.
Option 2 - warm motor, drop oil, fill with kero, run for a few minutes (and whatever you do, DONOT touch the throttle), drop again, and try oil a few times more. Hopefully breakdown and dis-lodge any crud in the wrong place. And it it fails, revert to option 1.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Option 2 - warm motor, drop oil, fill with kero, run for a few minutes (and whatever you do, DONOT touch the throttle), drop again, and try oil a few times more. Hopefully breakdown and dis-lodge any crud in the wrong place. And it it fails, revert to option 1.
Do you mean diesel? Kero is too abrasive IMHO to be running through the bearings without some sort of lubrication.

Miguel304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon Berlina 5ltr
Ahh I had a a feeling it’s going to need to be pulled out and have a freshen Up

was just trying to see if there were any tricks that I didn’t know of and I think I’ll put the diesel in it and if doesn’t work I’ll just Pull it out and freshen up the motor

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Do you mean diesel? Kero is too abrasive IMHO to be running through the bearings without some sort of lubrication.
I meant kero. I was going all in / double down / all or nothing. He could play a little safer and use diesel. Or he could play his highest card and hope not to over-do it.

Seems we have given him options. So his choice now.
I just hope he wins and doesn't need a strip down and a rebuild.