Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VT Timing Cover Gasket

Frank500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.0
Hi guys, my 304 is leaking coolant between the timing cover and the block, so I need to replace the gasket.

I was just wondering if anyone here has done this job, did you need to remove/lower the sump, or did you just leave it where it is and slide the timing cover off? I'm kinda worried that by doing that it may be inviting sealing issues down at the sump.

Any other tips and things to look out for would be appreciated, including the best way to lock up the crank for getting the balancer on and off. My car is an auto.

Also, what gasket sealer do you find works best?

Here's why I ask.

About 3 months ago I had to replace my water pump, and since I've been using Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket for quite a while and always found it to be very good, that's what I used on the gasket. When I fired up the engine however, it was leaking quite badly. What I found was that the gasket had been pushed out of position when I torqued down the pump.

I put this down to the fact that because I used a brand new bottle of sealant, it was very fresh and runny and I probably didn't allow it to tack off long enough, so it kind of acted like a lubricant and allowed the gasket to ooze out sideways. In the past I always just brushed it on and put everything together without waiting and it always sealed beautifully. Because the sealing face of the water pump gasket is quite skinny it is kind of prone to this happening a bit I guess.

So anyhow I repeated the job and this time waited for quite a while before bolting the pump on, so that the sealer was quite tacky. This time it assembled well, but there was still a little bit of movement of the gasket after torquing. Not enough to cause a leak but still not ideal. The pump bolts were not over-tightened.

Has anyone else had this issue with the Permatex? Or is there another gasket sealer that you've found to be better?

Thanks very much gentlemen.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Have you only had the leak problem since replacing your water pump? If so, then I would suggest that your problem may be due to the clamps holding the water pump hoses. From my experience, and others on this forum and the VS forum, the clamps on the water pump need to be really, really tight, otherwise you will get a leak that looks like it is coming either from the water pump or elsewhere (such as the timing cover/block).

Frank500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.0
Have you only had the leak problem since replacing your water pump? If so, then I would suggest that your problem may be due to the clamps holding the water pump hoses. From my experience, and others on this forum and the VS forum, the clamps on the water pump need to be really, really tight, otherwise you will get a leak that looks like it is coming either from the water pump or elsewhere (such as the timing cover/block).
Hi there, thanks for your reply.
This leak started maybe 3 months after the water pump replacement, and it's kind of at the top part of the timing case where you can actually see the water seeping from between the case and the block. It looks pretty conclusive but I will double-check the hose clamps just in case. I remember when I replaced the pump it did also leak from the hose after I did it up very tight, so I had to do it even tighter.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Has anyone else had this issue with the Permatex? Or is there another gasket sealer that you've found to be better?
I use Permatex RTV gasket maker. Being silicone it’s good for sticking the gasket to whatever surface you need to. You need to paint a thin layer on with your fingers though which can get messy if you don’t use gloves. Putting a bead on would be far too much sealant.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...um-oil-resistance---ultra-black-95g/5366.html

Frank500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore 5.0