Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 waterpump/power steering belt config

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The PS still adjusts the same by loosening the bracket bolts and adjusting the whole pump/bracket assembly as one.

Here's my VS with twin belt pulley....

and wiring over the top of the pump reservoir. I bought it in 98 so expect it is as per factory.
You're right, it was the hoses for the charcoal canister that were cable tied to the radiator hose. It's been way to long since I looked at a stock engine bay.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
7784574D-9131-4050-934D-4EEF55D3887D.jpeg
The hq has a little more room

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
A323939B-B95B-452F-AFBD-871E82557B0F.jpeg
Got it back together

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
0C3AD4BF-15F5-4490-9585-93D65C51635E.jpeg
That saga over ...now the high pressure hose ...pump end metric and oring ...the other imperial flare fitting and not much room for hose right angle fitting to clear bottom of pump and do a big sweep around to get to back of pump.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
On the VS the high pressure hose comes up the back and over the top the pump and then goes down between the pump pump bracket and water pump. It's a bloody odd configuration. I ripped mine out and will be fitting a custom hose with AN fittings.

Rwardy3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 355
ok looks like scci need to buy a longer belt and use the spare pulley on the water pump but how strange is it how every picture I can find on the net shows the 304 with a single pulley water pump and the straight arrangement using only the crank and power steering type belt.
I actually bought the whole engine/gearbox from a working car and it had a 2 belt water pump (with no belts fitted) and when I bought all the bits , the guy selling it gave me a spare water pump pulley and it has the 2 setup too
Next question is is there a bracket for the air conditioning compressor sitting on the same studs behind the power steering bracket that spaces the pump a little more forward as the alignment when the power steering bracket is fitted looks like it is slightly out?
Hi mate, I am actually in need of this double pulley as I read on a forum it may help to stop my power steering belt from coming off. I have a 355 stroker and we have tried EVERYTHING to stop the belt flipping. Its a nightmare. Do you still have the spare one you mentioned? If so I would be very grateful if I could I buy it from you. Many thanks in advance.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi mate, I am actually in need of this double pulley as I read on a forum it may help to stop my power steering belt from coming off. I have a 355 stroker and we have tried EVERYTHING to stop the belt flipping. Its a nightmare. Do you still have the spare one you mentioned? If so I would be very grateful if I could I buy it from you. Many thanks in advance.
I had this same issue not long after going 355.
Not an issue nowadays. And if I stretch my memory I think a rebuilt pump was the solution to the issue (but cannot remember why it was)

Rwardy3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 355
I had this same issue not long after going 355.
Not an issue nowadays. And if I stretch my memory I think a rebuilt pump was the solution to the issue (but cannot remember why it was)
Sounds like it probably a little common really. I am hoping to get the double pulley on the water pump as im told it is a winner.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
There's a mob called Clarkos Performance who do speedway stuff that make a 50% underdrive crank pulley for those 253 powered AMCA dirt modified things. It bolts on fine just needs about a 3.5mm spacer machined up to space it out the right amount, the only time I used to throw belts with the single water pump and stock crank pulley was when I went near 7000 rpm