Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 black, blue, red???

vk5ltrm

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk 5 litre 308/ 4 speed manual
hey, got a 308 in a vk with a carby. just wondering how do i tell if its a black blue or red motor. dont really understand the whole colour thing so yer and explanation would help, cheers.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Engine number prefix should tell ya. Should be VT I rekon if it's a black 308.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Im confused? Are you asking what colour your motor is? They are normally painted in the colour that htey are, ie a red motor is red, black motor is black?

I agree... What colour is your block? 308 Blacks were Black, and 308 Reds were Red...

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I wouldn't go by the colour of the block. It's not hard to paint ya motor.

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
Check block prefix numbers.. give a indication of year etc...if the motor is un molested then the center bolt on the inlet manifold with have 2 bolts ( 1 for early no EGR heads..) if 2 then at least the heads are post 1983.....If your VK is factory VK5.0 ltr then its a black motor ( last of the 308's) any after late 85 mid 86 were stamped 5.0 on the block there for are 304's... 308 had 308 stamped on block..

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
well, no word a lie. my block was pink when i got it. PINK, i swear to god i can post a pic if you dont believe me. only way to tell is check the engine prefix which danny and NZVK have covered already (grumble grumble too busy working, beat me to it Grumble)

VT for VK black. VT prefix is good too cos it means we have a higher comp ratio than most 308's, cos we got em' just before they went ULP and just after Super. our stock CR is 9.4:1

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
well, no word a lie. my block was pink when i got it. PINK, i swear to god i can post a pic if you dont believe me. only way to tell is check the engine prefix which danny and NZVK have covered already (grumble grumble too busy working, beat me to it Grumble)

VT for VK black. VT prefix is good too cos it means we have a higher comp ratio than most 308's, cos we got em' just before they went ULP and just after Super. our stock CR is 9.4:1

**** not bad on the cr hey mate
vks came out with a black 308 if you cant see it take to it with a wire brush and have a look

seb402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1 tonne
if your block was pink... its probly a faded red motor... im pretty sure red motors are the oldest then blue then black

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
if your block was pink... its probly a faded red motor... im pretty sure red motors are the oldest then blue then black

Lol - I have never seen factory engine paint fade. As above: check the engine number but this isn't fool proof. If the motor has been rebuilt it may have been changed. If that is the case look at the casting date. Oldholden.com can tell you what date is what.

You are correct though, Red then Blue then Black.

Reaper