Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 burnout cam

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you can't drain the oil back you don't want to improve the oil pump all that will do is make the drain back issue worse.

Best mod is to drill out the 4 oil drain backs in the heads. Then die grind all the dags out near the dizzy hole.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I would say drill the back of the heads and fit dash6 lines down to sump (above the dipstick)
This is to aid drain back from the heads which is likely to haunt you as an issue with sustained high rpm.

I don't really like the idea of restricted pushrods. But others more experienced than me seem to be okay with it I think.

I have heard of re-drilling the hole in the cam bolt to direct oil splash at the oil pump drive gear instead of the cam chain.

Pump rebuild and blueprint is your #1 oil mod in my opinion.
And shim the spring too (can use valve shim from harley v-rod or most ktm and other OHC dirt bikes. 9mm diameter from memory and I think 2mm thick)

I was told to actually seal up the cam bolt hole and re-drill the cam area where ABBA mentioned, but what you mention makes sense

I've heard a few people mention the restricted pushrods, but haven't actually seen an engine with them fitted and how it effects it.....So yeah, would be interesting how it effects the internals

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have done the basic oiling mods to a 308, flowed the pump, drilled the cam journals, the rear drain holes in the heads need to be opened up so they touch the vertical part so oil can't pool there. Forgot about shimming the spring, done that too, but I used a small core plug from something, just went into Auto One and got one the correct size. The engine was then stroked and the driver insisted on skidding it without a retune, was running a Haltec so it wouldn't have been difficult, but she knew better and promptly grenaded it. Hence the LS conversion.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If you can't drain the oil back you don't want to improve the oil pump all that will do is make the drain back issue worse.

Best mod is to drill out the 4 oil drain backs in the heads. Then die grind all the dags out near the dizzy hole.
Oil drain back problem is a sustained high rpm problem. (such as 6k+ on the burnout pad for minutes at a time) so I see the logic behind your advice.
Blueprint of the pump is more of an efficiency thing than the volume. Save conrod big end bearings on #6 and #7.

Maybe OP could get a higher volume and gated sump.

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
Mate here she is 170,000 kms virgin sing should have her in tomorrow and first fire up

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
20201021_224317.jpg

Beau308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb commodore
Its before the build yeah just went to drop her in I changed the sump and sump pick up to bowl on front,, engine mounts and it hits sump on k frame was told k frame is same 6cyl and v8 could it be that need to change bracket between block and engine mounts??