Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 metal in the oil fuel coming out of spark plug

geforcevb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
Hi all big problems today, went out to the shed to start the car and heard this grinding noise coming from the back near the bottom of the engine.
I thought it was the starter motor finely has is day, because it just stoped turning the engine over and stared clicking so I pull the starter out pulled it down clean it in side and out and there was no problem with it so I put it back in and the noise was still there. Now worried it might be a big end bearing I check the dip stick and sure as hell metal filing in the oil but the engine still runs when it does turn over and holds oil pressure any ideas what it would be. The metal pieces are very small but many of like if you were to run your fingers over sand paper

Last edited:

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Well dont start the thing any more pull it out and strip, could be a lifter & cam lobe I had one do it once on a 202, Could be a bearing had that happen as well.

yu wontknow untill you strip it down like oyu will have to do anyway.

Scott

geforcevb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
I have pulled the manifold of to check the cam lobs looks pretty good then I took out the spark plugs and number seven pot poured out with fuel would the be a ring causing this.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Does it matter? It's going to have to come out and apart with damage like that anyway. As there's metal in the oil, a simple replacement of the damaged part isn't going to work, even if that would fix the current problem. The oil system has to be flushed out to avoid more damage.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Time to pull it out and rip the sump off.

geforcevb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
The fine metal bit were that fine you can barely see them but could feel them between my fingers, not sure what happen here I ripped the inlet manifold off, flushed clean oil down the gut of it turn it over a few times with the coil lead on and dump the oil and no metal flakes just a lot of brownish flakes which would squish between my fingers put all back together put new oil in it again hit the key fired up straight away but she is pouring out heap of black smoke out the back but not sure if this is part of the problem as I just put a 750 Holley the day before this all happened as my 600 Holley has past it day thinking the 750 it is jetted up to high as it is seconded hand but good condition jets in the front 72 and 76 in the back which still bring my to why number 7 pot was full of fuel. Not sure if to rip it down or not.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Pot full of fuel, heaps of black smoke?
Checked the float and/or needle and seat????

geforcevb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
Changed the needles this has fixed the problem with the fuel running in the pot. float level good.But I still have heaps of black smoke pouring out the back I have turn down the fuel pump to 3psi still no different. I have adjusted the mixture screws right out and in, but this make no different to the running of the engine. The engine still run pretty smooth even with all this black smoke. I have advance the timing as much a it could handle no different would a bent or not seating valve cause this

geforcevb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SLE
well I have wound the 4 mixture screws right in and out a 1/4 of a turn this has now stop the black smoke but I feel there this something up in number 7 pot where all the fuel was filling I thing something happen with the vales in the cylinder hence the fine metal partials will be removing the heads to have a look while I am at it, I might get the seat hared at the same time.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
from what you are saying the problem only started when you swapped carbs over. Can you stick the 600 Holley back on and see if the smoke problem is rectified ?
If it does come good, then obviously it's the 750 causing the problem. No point screwing around with timing and stressing about bent valves etc if the carb is causing the issues.