Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 roller rockers vn heads question

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Hey sorry for the probably obvious question, but I bought vn heads for my 308 black motor and the heads didn't come with roller rockers. Will the 308 ones be okay to bolt up or do I need the 304 rockers?

I've searched on here and google and a lot of vn heads info saying you need the 304 cam, inlet manifold, extractors (have acquired these parts already). But couldn't find an exact answer on the roller rockers..

If there's anything else you'd recommend for the build let me know

Cheers, Josh

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
I'm assuming all are te same, if you look into Yella Terra or Crane roller rockers it lists Holden V8 5L(304) and 308 under the same part numbers so am guessing the standard rocker gear should change over with no problems, it's the rocker covers that differ between the HQ style and VN style heads

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
Oh ok I didn't know about the rocker covers mate. So thanks for that! Will add them to the list.

Thanks for the info on roller rockers, cheers!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yep, rockers are the same. The covers are different. You may need to get raised ones to suit the roller rockers too, some fit, some don't.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i think OP is talking about bog stock rockers, not rollers. in which case they will fit and the rockers will work just fine.

OP this is a stock pressed rocker:
$T2eC16ZHJF0FFZ5pO0DvBRh7WdV,QQ~~60_35.JPG

this is a roller rocker:
Holden-V8-Chev-LS7-Chevy-Gen-III-3-Rail-Type-Roller-Rockers-Yella-Terra-YT6670-(18).jpg

oosty85

YSPOOL
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 & VR CALAIS 5L
ARI666 You're correct, sorry guys I worded it a tad wrong. I'm using factory vk 308 rockers..

So the rockers and covers will be fine on vn heads in that case you say?

Cheers mate

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I have a feeling roller rockers are slightly different between carb and EFI heads...
I was told the offset is slightly different. They will bolt up and even work, but can cause uneven wear on the valve tip and premature stem wear as the roller doesn't sit in the centre of the valve stem tip.

The Yella Terra website catalogue is down at the moment and can't even find the roller rocker catalogue on the Crane site to confirm, but I'm fairly sure I did notice a different part number some time back. And I wouldn't trust sellers listings on ebay in regards to engine application.

Can't confirm my suspicions, but definitely check the manufacturers website, or email them, before fitting them

EDIT: just noticed the OP said he was using standard rockers (good call Ari!) in which case it doesn't matter, unlike roller rockers, they self centre.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Don't make me dig that photo out again.

FWIW My Yella Terra platinum shaft mounts came with detailed instructions that there are two distinctly separate offset pairs in the set for carby heads.