Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 ticking sound

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
did a bit of serch but i couldnt find anything appart from that the problem could be sticky lifters...but the go is that i just got a vk 308 4 speed from a mate, and it had a few issues with dieing and not starting for a while but i got that sorted, and now i went up to get some take out in it and as i left the fish and chips shop i gave it a little bit of a bootfull(not redlining or anything like that) but now the car is making a bit of a loud ticking/tapping noise from the motor. the sound only happens while its driving and gets louder the faster i go, ive been told the car has had a rebuild a few months back but ive checked the oil out and its looking a bit black so ill probli be doing a service on it tomorrow. But would it be possible for anyone who knows what the drama could be. cheers:thumbsup:

pr0n

It's A Me ' MARIO '
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY II S V6
id do an oil change and see if that does anything, maybe the oils been burnt and thinned out, maybe try a thicker oil if it keeps making the noise

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
Sounds like shagged lifters, Its a pretty common problem on Holden V8s with a few miles on the clock.

PS, if a seller tells you the engine has recently been rebuilt, he means its had an oil change and a set of new plugs sometime in the last five years.

Disturbed_vegeta

I'd Prefer To ROAR!
Reaction score
Website
Www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VR Hsv Senator, VX SS, VZ SS Ute 6L, K9 GSXR1000
yea well the story is. my mates brother owned then he sold it to another one of my mates and then i got it, so i gotta sus out a bit more info out when i see the my mates brother because hes the one who did all the work to it

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
jo3 has a point, my exhaust is leaking at the manifold and it ticks a little, nothing bad but its there. When its idling does it make a "fooof"-ing sound? That is the sound of a leaking exhaust at the manifold and when u give it a boot it sounds like a ticking sound.

And just maybe the lifters are gone, more of an annoying job than a hard one to replace them.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
It could be the rocker arms or posts that are worn which can be confused as worn lifters. If you can narrow it down to which bank is is, take off the rocker cover and put your finger on the rocker arms one at a time while the motor is idling. you will feel a slight shock from the one that is ticking . ( not a electric shock , a shock from the free play ) you can take the rocker post off and file down the end that is bolted to the head.All you need to do is give it a dozen or so strokes with a medium file and that should do the trick .The rocker arms are made of pressed steel and the posts are made of aluminium which tend to wear over the years. Hope this helps ( i thought my parents were the only people in the world that lived in Burpengary lol )

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Do a compression test, might not be piston slap. Lifters as said abofve are a common problem. I would be confirming that its piston slap before considering a rebuild unless you have time and cash to throw away.