Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 vs 350 HQ Kingswood Wagon

Qorx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II Ute
I was reading on another forum that you can't put a 350 v8 in a car that wasn't previously a v8. For example I want to do a conversion from a 202 v6 to a 350 v8 but I read you can't get them registered. Is this true? If so I heard that it is fine to go the 308 route can anyone give me some clarification.

Cheers.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Not with out an engineers certificate you can't put a motor gearbox or diff in a car that wasn't factory fitted to it if it did come as a factory option you must use every thing the factory used to fit it.
A little like if you convert a VC 6 cylinder commodore to v8 you must use all the options the factory v8 had like springs and power steering and the rear disk brakes.
If you wanted to put a chev v8 into a hq finding some of the unique 350 hq chev stuff might be a pain in the arse may as well go a 304 conversion and get an engineers on it at the end I reckon would be cheaper than being bleed dry for 2nd hand parts .

Qorx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II Ute
Not with out an engineers certificate you can't put a motor gearbox or diff in a car that wasn't factory fitted to it if it did come as a factory option you must use every thing the factory used to fit it.
A little like if you convert a VC 6 cylinder commodore to v8 you must use all the options the factory v8 had like springs and power steering and the rear disk brakes.
If you wanted to put a chev v8 into a hq finding some of the unique 350 hq chev stuff might be a pain in the arse may as well go a 304 conversion and get an engineers on it at the end I reckon would be cheaper than being bleed dry for 2nd hand parts .
Yeah i read on here earlier that the 304 out of a vn is a great conversion to do. Probably be a lot easier and cheaper aswell. Cheers.

Any ideas on pricings for engineers certs? Or whereabouts? Is it 10s, 100s, or 1000s?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Shouldn't need an engineers certificate if it has a coil spring rear end since they came out in that configuration.

350's are good because parts are cheap. To set up initially will be more costly though.

You can legally use a pre adr27a 308 block with the injection top end bolted on though and would be the most cost effective way to go about it if you can find a decent 308 bottom end.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
350 into a hq with no engineering should be easy, wagon or not.
Be easier than putting an injected motor in it.
Talk to the relevant authorities or an engineer.

Qorx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II Ute
350 into a hq with no engineering should be easy, wagon or not.
Be easier than putting an injected motor in it.
Talk to the relevant authorities or an engineer.
If I go the 308 route, what car should the engine be out for and same for the 350 what engine is the best to use.

Note: Further down the track will want to go the turbo route so yeah.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
If I go the 308 route, what car should the engine be out for and same for the 350 what engine is the best to use.
Out of a HQ thats where the rego mob will make it hard as soon as you use anything later you have to comply to the later rules. Didn't Holden drop the 350 in HJ because it didn't comply to the pollution rules of the day ? I still think the engineer route and 304 will end up cheaper than finding all the correct 350 stuff and you will end up with a faster car.

Qorx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Series II Ute
Am thinking of just going 304 out of a VT but am leaning more towards going the LS1 route.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I was reading on another forum that you can't put a 350 v8 in a car that wasn't previously a v8. For example I want to do a conversion from a 202 v6 to a 350 v8 but I read you can't get them registered. Is this true? If so I heard that it is fine to go the 308 route can anyone give me some clarification.

Cheers.

.. you CAN put a Chev 350 in a HQ sedan or coupe BUT NOT the wagon
because when Holden released the HQ they fitted the 350 to 4 door sedans (as the GTS) as well as the Coupe (as LS and GTS models)
but the 350 never went into the wagon only the 308 so that is as big as you can go with the wagon

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Or just get an engineer's certificate, it's not that hard or expensive.