Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

350 holley on vc 3.3l

M

marky mark

my vc has a 350 holley on it .it has no extra power,uses heaps more fuel and runs like a 3 legged dog,all the pollution gear has been ripped off hoses ect!would the varajet be more econmical? or would it pay to have the holley tuned .theres is no extractors the engine is stock wif no mods. its got a trihard tranny behind it which i think is stuffed cause it has this pulsing vibration in it,ive replaced the uni,s center bearing is ok,and the tranny oil is clean and at the correct level any help would be g8t. :confused:

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
Have a looksee through the other threads here on carbs, but yes I could easy say your drowning your motor because the 350 is alittle big for a stocko 3.3L. Try a webber off a XF Falcon with an adapter plate or better still stay with the Varjet as long as its still working ok or give it a face lift.

I think even if you tune the 350 its still going to be alittle exessive for your requirements. Thats my thoughts anyhow, Anyone else - Bump...

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
There is a calculation about what is the maximum size (in CFM) of carb you can logically fit on your engine.
I seem to remember it went something like Cubic Inch Displacement X maximum revs you'll be using (be honest now... :eek: ), which is then divided by the constant figure 3456.

If you have, say, a 202 cube motor, times say 6000rpm, divided by the "constant" figure (3456) you get 350, in other words a 350 Holley is alright providing you will honesty be taking it to those revs and it is jetted properly...6000rpm would be, I imagine, a worked 202.

This is for naturally aspirated engines of course, and depends on other factors such as exhaust headers and system being set up too...you can't just bolt a 350 Holley on a stock motor unless you are good with jetting and power valves...

OH...don't forget...if the Holley is second hand, check the accelerator pump to see if some genius has listened to his mates and put on something like a 25cc pump instead of the standard 15cc or so pump..."It'll make more power when you tromp on it dude!!!" :b: :rolleyes:
That'll flood buggery out of a motor quick smart down low! Also in this case check the power valve..."Yeah mate, whack in a bigger one...if she's got a .65 in her, imagine how much more fuel you'll be able to get in there with an .85!!! Sick mate!!!!" :b:

I also remember having to fit sleeves in the throat of a 350 Holley my sister-in-law had on a 179 Torana. They were part of a kit to "neck down" the carb to the standard of a 300 or so CFM carb, and then we had to spend a long night in the garage trying to get it jetted properly...would have been easier to fit something else...jeez that was a fun night... :b:

Last edited:

Silver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Calais
Do your self the biggest favour in the world and get rid of the Holley and source yourself the original carb for you motor. More power, mega better economy and reliability. Go for it.