Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 Carby to EFI conversion

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
hey i have just bought a vk calais with a carby 355 stroker turbo 400 and 9". the motor was built to handle boost forged internals and what not. unsure of specs atm as car is still in brissy. i bought it off a mate who has owned it for the last 8 years and built it up. he pulled a 12.8 in it a few years back. anyways i am thinking of converting it to efi as i want to add FI of some sort, supercharger or turbo undecided yet. How much work is involved in this conversion and what parts needed. Are blow through FI setups any good or should i go to EFI. I am unsure what heads i got but will i have to change them if i go to efi. if i go efi i will be using a twin throttle body come manifold. I am not really fussed about the cost i just want the tuffest possiable combo i can get.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
also is it possiable fit a 6/71 or something along those line and keep it low enough to put it under a bonnet scoop for street use.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i am unsure but i think they might be alloy heads i think. cant get hold of my mate to ask because he is out at work no service but when i get back out to work in a few days i can find out for sure

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Some carby inlet manifolds can be fitted with injectors or there is the throttle body kind of injection that looks like a 4 barrell carb and contains the injectors, computer, sensors and all. This kind of system was tested by street machine magazine in the last 2 years with excellent results, you can fit a velocity hat and boost it up later, they're good for economy and driveability and you can use more types of manifold than multi point injection. Some have the computer and sensors built into the "float bowls", some have external computer.
http://horsepowersports.com/bolt-on-electronic-fuel-injection-from-retrotek-speed/
This is one system, there are others, you'll want to look around a bit.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0811_electronic_fuel_injection_systems/index.html

Last edited:

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
got a pic of the inlet manifold?

nar i dont have any pics of it its still in brissy i am in townsville i should have it up here soon. just trying to find out the pros and cons of efi and carby with boost for near future planing

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Some carby inlet manifolds can be fitted with injectors or there is the throttle body kind of injection that looks like a 4 barrell carb and contains the injectors, computer, sensors and all. This kind of system was tested by street machine magazine in the last 2 years with excellent results, you can fit a velocity hat and boost it up later, they're good for economy and driveability and you can use more types of manifold than multi point injection. Some have the computer and sensors built into the "float bowls", some have external computer.
http://horsepowersports.com/bolt-on-electronic-fuel-injection-from-retrotek-speed/
This is one system, there are others, you'll want to look around a bit.
Bolt-On EFI Systems - The Latest in Fuel-Injection - Hot Rod Magazine

thanks mate i shall look into this .

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mate if your thinking about boost, then you may as well go with VN heads. if its running with the old style VK heads, then getting efi to run will be a case of sticking the top end of a VN on and hooking it all up. blower/turbo kits are much more accessable for VN style heads. no one really does the old school kits and if they do they are more $$$

BUT, you may already have VN heads. who knows. have you seen the manifold on it? is there a huge gap between the front 2 and rear 2 ports, or are they evenly spaced?

this is VK style. see the gap between the ports?
ED2194.JPG

this is VN. see how the ports are evenly spaced?
vn-vt_dual_machined1.gif

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
oh yea i see what you mean . i have seen it but can not rememeber what the manifold looks like. but as you said i think i will be better off going to efi .