Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 manifold

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
anybody here using the standard banana manifold on a 355, or even a starr manifold. just curious as to how much power it can make for a mild street driven car.
thanks

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
There have been a few threads like this lately. Depending on your exact application it's pretty hard to go past a Torquepower intake (dual plane high or low rise for mild street applications). Bananas are great for towing boats and thats about it. Not a fan of starr either.

Reaper

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
for street racing?

No for a daily.

There have been a few threads like this lately. Depending on your exact application it's pretty hard to go past a Torquepower intake (dual plane high or low rise for mild street applications). Bananas are great for towing boats and thats about it. Not a fan of starr either.

Reaper

thanks, thats what seems to be the go everywhere u look. the cars just getting a bit old now and is most likely going to need a rebuild anyway so i figured stroke it while its there. i was just wondering if it was worth changing the manifold over for something that will only rev to about 5000 with a pretty mild cam such as a crow 4503 or a 4650? might just have to bite the bullet and change manifolds

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
No for a daily.

thanks, thats what seems to be the go everywhere u look. the cars just getting a bit old now and is most likely going to need a rebuild anyway so i figured stroke it while its there. i was just wondering if it was worth changing the manifold over for something that will only rev to about 5000 with a pretty mild cam such as a crow 4503 or a 4650? might just have to bite the bullet and change manifolds

Bananas top out at around 4500 rpm, slightly less on the 355. I'd go tp to unlock the extra cubes myself.

Reaper

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
may aswell do things right the 1st time i suppose. is heat soak much of an issue with a carby filter just sitting on top? i was thinking of using one of those air tray things

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
There is an interesting thread on the Banana's on another commodore forum that goes into the theory behind getting them to work well. You'll find the general consensus from builders and tuners is that they are fantastic for low down torque, but not so good for top end. Torque will make a quick and fun street car... I recommend figuring out exactly what you want and working from that, real point spending big dollars without a defined goal.

I am about to undertake a 355ci (maybe 383ci) build utilising the banana for a street driven daily, and think a combo of great torque and good power is achievable with decent compression and a cam with longer lift on the intake side, and nice tight LSA. Something not too dissimilar to the Crow 4503... Let’s face it, how often am I going to rev my car past the Banana's useful point anyways?

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
i see where your coming from, and i completely agree. im after instant response and low down torque. i know from reading everywhere that the tp dual plane is best but the thing that concerns me is having something that looks so obviously modified. which is why i considered the starr manifold.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
heres a bit of a comparison for you:

my ute, 355 stroker with a torque power dual plane manifold, crane 286 cam and 9.8:1 compression ratio
my mates caprice, 355 stroker, standard banana manifold, crane 284 cam and 9.5:1 compression ratio

ute makes 232 rwkw at 5700 rpm, 630(ish) nm torque at 3700rpm
caprice makes 186rwkw at 4900 rpm, 425ish nm torque at 3100rpm