Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 stroker as a daily driver?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I have a 355" VR. Sometimes does daily duties, but mostly I use the motorbike.
I reckon economy is comparable to the pre-stroker motor. So if you are happy with current consumption (or current + 10%) then do it.
Just tune it well, and don be silly on the cam choice

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
97 , is vt? Then yes , will already be clearanced for stroker.
Roller cam is better = can go a little bigger/ gives more than flat tappet.
Is definitely worth going tie bar lifters and getting rid of the spider plate.
Compression will mean , ideally decking the block = machining = time = money.
Even just going 355 with a nice moderate cam , will be = happy days = better than a hsv gts

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
11 posts in and nobody has suggested to LS the world? Disappoint.

:D

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Roller cams have more of a lumpy lobe where as flat tappets have more of an egg shape well one side of an egg and I guess the fat side of an egg is more like a roller cam. Rollers can't roll on a flat tapet as the point is too violent for the roller they need a nice smooth profile.
This leads to the square CM of area after intial lift and before final closing being more on a roller cam. A good flat tappet can out perform some roller cams but a good roller can't be beaten for mass air flow. But in most cases you don't need all the extra flow a roller cam provides so a flat tappet is fine to use they also sound a little more choppy imo which is what I prefer.

I like engines that sound like they're about to stall but keep on chuggin. Like a CAT RD6.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I own a 96 VS ute so last of the iron block utes. It would be cheaper to go LS but it's no Iron Lion now is it. My computer is coming this week so I'm getting all keen.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I have one of each .
With going mild 355 probably won't have same top end grunt but heaps better low end torque = so much better as a daily and do a decent exhaust to help performance and you'll shxt all over everything else sound wise!!! = you'll be grinning from ear to ear = so much more character.

98 SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
Thanks, the exhaust had a big hole so that's getting replaced as well. Starting to get excited now, can't wait to get it back!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If still looks factory on outside it won't hurt value at all probably make it easier to sell...with correct choice in parts etc will be just as drivable as a stocker just sound heaps better.