Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 stroker as a daily driver?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I chose that cam specifically because the powerband is 1800-5800 and wouldn't require me running a stall convertor (just requires at least 9.5:1 compression and 3.5:1 diff ratio, my engine has been rebuilt to 10.5:1 compression). The next cam up shifts the range to 2500-6000 and requires a stall convertor but I didn't see the extra 200rpm at the top end being worth the trade-off as I live in the city and will be daily driving 5-6km to work dealing with traffic lights etc.

That being said it's definitely not close to stock anymore, stroked to 355 with SRP pro forged pistons, acl race mains, flat tappet to roller cam conversion, single piece stainless valves, double race springs, platinum roller rockers, custom made twin throttle body intake manifold (two standard forward facing throttle bodies) etc. It's also going to be running an upgraded VT alternator with electric fans and davies craig electric water pump and controller. It's been at the shop for nearly a year now and I'm about 3-4 weeks from getting it dyno'd so I'm frothing to see what sort of power it makes, keeping in mind the goal was to make it as driveable as possible and not just aim for high horsepower numbers.

I think it will make close to 400rwhp.
My old engine made 420 with a bigger cam (oversized imo) and a TP single plane with 4bbl TB.