Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 stroker as a daily driver?

98 SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
I sent my VT 5.0l in to get all it's leaks fixed. It was leaking from every place possible and more. I saw myself the chunks of gasket they pulled out of the sump. Anyway they've had it a while now and I'm being told I'd near be better off getting a stroker kit put in while it's all pulled apart etc. Just wondering if anyone out there drives one as a daily driver like I will be? Running kids to school, groceries, powercruise maybe! If I drive mostly nicely what sort of money would I be putting in for fuel? Will I ruin the value of the 5.0l? Does anyone else have one?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
355 Holden stroker engines are great for effortless power and torque, you won't be disappointed.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do it. By the time you get rods re-sized and honed, crank ground and new pistons/re-bore etc it only costs a little more to get that stroker crank and new rods to suit instead. With a mild to moderate roller cam it'll drive like stock but go a lot better. Talk to a engine builder about what you want to achieve and what they suggest.

98 SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
Do it. By the time you get rods re-sized and honed, crank ground and new pistons/re-bore etc it only costs a little more to get that stroker crank and new rods to suit instead. With a mild to moderate roller cam it'll drive like stock but go a lot better. Talk to a engine builder about what you want to achieve and what they suggest.

Thanks, reassurance is always good! I was told the same by the guy doing the work but you just never know. I think we might just have to give him the go ahead then

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The rods and crank would likely be fine and not require any work.
however do the stroker :)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
True, it depends on how thorough you want to be.

98 SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
We're going to be pretty thorough, there's no point having to go back and replace or fix stuff later. That's just more money again :)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Do it , you love it.
Drive sensibly and fuel use shouldn't be much worse .
Lots of vt ss around but if really worried about originality ( you probably don't have this luxury as it's a daily = a pain / costing while out of action) pick up another block ( although they're not as cheap now) , I'm hanging out for one = to keep the matching # engine stock for the maloo.
As immortality said moderate cam , bump compression, cubes = you won't know yourself. Will be fun on power cruise.

I might add worth hanging onto for as long as possible = last of the iron lions with obviously the most modern chassis they came out in.

Last edited:

98 SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS Commodore
Do it , you love it.
Drive sensibly and fuel use shouldn't be much worse .
Lots of vt ss around but if really worried about originality ( you probably don't have this luxury as it's a daily = a pain / costing while out of action) pick up another block ( although they're not as cheap now) , I'm hanging out for one = to keep the matching # engine stock for the maloo.
As immortality said moderate cam , bump compression, cubes = you won't know yourself. Will be fun on power cruise.

My bad, it's a 97 SS with a HSV hydrolic roller cam ‍o_O Would that make it easier regarding the bigger cam and putting the stroker in?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Roller cam is just more beneficial and make more power for the same duration flat tappet, even a really mild grind and better reliability. The only thing I would suggest is going to tie-bar lifters instead of the stock type with the wishbone plates that tend to fail over time and stuff a lifter and cam.