Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 stroker build questions

PINKY355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HSV WAGON
If you are only looking for around 250kw at the fly then you wont need anywhere near a 286 cam. There should be a smaller roller cam that will get you there without having to run a high stall behind it and you wont need to change your stock manifold either.

If you run too big a cam you will need the stall converter, higher comp and definately a different intake manifold. You would probably be looking at changing the diff ratio also.

For example if you run a 286cam on a 3000rpm stally with the stock manifold your power band will be between 3000rpm and 5000rpm where the manifold rolls off quickly.

Stick with something like a crane roller 889711 214/[email protected] and 464thou lift and it will work between 1600 and 5000rpm which will get you going on the stock manifold. If you run some 1.65 to 1 ratio roller rockers and some basic headwork I think you will be happy.

brewerboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Ute V8
I front ended mine into a traffic light one night in Tamworth. A cattle truck had stopped at the lights and when he drove off... left a wonderful layer of cow poo slime on the road, which i drove around the corner through.

The back end momenteraly stepped out on the poop and then bit on the dry tar, pointing me directly at the traffic light.

funny thing was a cop car was stopped at the red light on the other side and saw the whole thing which was great cause they didnt charge me and put it down to "road conditions" on the report.

But the ute was busted good. Front end hit the front of the motor and i dont think the mechanic at the smash repair joint fixed everything properly. Its always sweated a bit of oil from a couple of spots on the front around the seals. Body work was wonderful but the mechanic sucked the big ones!
I really think it needs a strip down and rebuild. Its time!

Pinky............. now what your saying sounds like what im after. I really want a bit of money left over to fix a few more things on the old girl other than the motor.

I was looking for a rebuild that would utalise the stock manifold, and what your saying is more like what im after. I know........ boring........... but i just dont need massive power. I want to give the old girl a birthday and make it go better.

Should be able to do it i recon :)

cheers

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Sweet, let us know how you go.

PINKY355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HSV WAGON
It wont be boring mate. Dont forget the holden 355 when set up can produce **** loads of torque down low. Makes for good daily driving. Plus keeping the comp down keeps your options open to a bit of boost later on if you should get caried away.
Good luck.

brewerboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Ute V8
Thanks so much for your input to this! I really apreciate it.

I dont really have anyone else to talk to about it and when i found this forum i know i would be at home :dance:

Will take the ute to work tommorow instead of the work truck and take it..... dirt and all.... to see the engine people for an introduction and a chat.

Will keep you all informed.

I see this thread running for a while :thumbsup:

cheers