Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 stroker kit

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
If ya look around ya can get Scat kits the same as that for around $1400 but with hypereutectic pistons instead of forged pistons. If it's just for a tuff streeter ya prolly don't really need to go forgies.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
If ya look around ya can get Scat kits the same as that for around $1400 but with hypereutectic pistons instead of forged pistons. If it's just for a tuff streeter ya prolly don't really need to go forgies.
yeah have seen a few cheaper kits around, forgies are only if you intent to run FI arent they?? might just sus out the hyp flat tops i think.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
i seen multiple procomp kits gettin around very cheap to a point where its unbelieveable, and the amount of peeps buying them is quite large..... are they really that crap in comparrison to other kits??

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Procomp kits are like $1000, Scat/Eagle $1400....I know which I'd go for. I'd stick with a stock 308 bottom end over a Procomp stroker anyday.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
another question...whats the difference between H beam rods and I beam rods? also what would be the best type of piston?? im definately going with flat tops but ive seen - cast, hypertectic and 1 or 2 more other types?....never built or bought parts for a motor build from start to finish so im just tryin to find out what works best in a stroker combo before i speak to any builders and having them baffel me with info. cheers danny

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Google "I beams" and "H beams" to visually see the difference. I'd assume H beams would be stronger, but again not really a necessity unless ur goin all out and spendin a **** load on ya motor and it's gonna make serious power.

The different pistons are mainly the alloy they're made from and the way they are made. Plain old cast pistons are just an alloy, hypereutectic pistons are also cast but have silicone in the alloy as well which I think changes the expansion rate of the alloy (ya can get a few sorts of these I think which vary how much silicone and other additives go into the alloy). The next step is normally forged, which is alloy, but instead of cast, it's stamped which compresses the alloy and makes it alot stronger, then I guess after forgies ya'd get billet pistons, which are a tad extreme.

If it's for a tough streeter, I'd just get a scat/eagle kit with hypereutectic flat tops. The reason there's a few different sorts which expand/contract differently is coz if u use normal pistons with forced induction, ya get a shitload of heat and if it expands to much it's gonna try and sieze up with it expanding into the bore and you'll end up breaking sumfin. Not just forced induction, but alot of revs will do it too. So I guess u either give the pistons more bore clearance so they have plently of room to expand (which will result in less compression), or u choose different pistons with a different alloy which doesn't expand as much.

All the technical **** is new to me, I ain't no mechanic and I haven't really played with that stuff too much, so not 100% sure. I only know a bit about it from an engine building DVD I bought only a week ago haha! If ya don't mind playing with motors ya should look into getting it too. Power Building Videos - Power Pack - Performance Carbs - Rotating Assemblies - Heads,Porting & Valve Trains, Superchargers & Nitrous Oxide

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
i just got a scat kit with "I" beam rods and haypatec pistons i think it was about $1300 for the kit + a couple of hundred for balancing... there is a few pics of it in the block on my profile... havent got it in the car yet but im happy at how the kit looks ... dont go anywhere near procomp ive heard nothing but horror stories.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
i just got a scat kit with "I" beam rods and haypatec pistons i think it was about $1300 for the kit + a couple of hundred for balancing... there is a few pics of it in the block on my profile... havent got it in the car yet but im happy at how the kit looks ... dont go anywhere near procomp ive heard nothing but horror stories.
where didya pick ya kit up from?? ebay supplier??

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
i got it through a place here in S.A call chris milton engine development