Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 355 Supercharger intake ideas

Richo460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTS, VK GRP3 replica
Hi Peoples
So i am building a VK with 355 supercharged motor and have some questions about intakes.
The motor is built for boost, and i am using a Vortech V1-T trim. (work in progress)
I am will run a 7" crank pulley and 3" charger pulley so it will be maxing out the impeller speed at max revs.

I have read a fair bit of peoples opinions on the standard banana manifold and consensus is that its crap.
I am wondering when you use forced induction how it changes the intake characteristics.
The stock banana manifold can be much better with a larger front snout and larger TB (like Starr manifold) but if its boosted does it make much difference.
I was thinking about cutting the front off the stock manifold, and installing a 90mm TB but facing the left side of the engine bay where my intercooler pipes will come from.
The other option would be an aftermarket carby style manifold with a adapter elbow in top going to an LS style throttle body.
The other thing i was wondering is that all the pipe fron the supercharger outlet through intercooler and to the TB will all be 3", the same as the stock TB, so is there any gain to be made but changing the intake.
Let me know what you all think
Cheers
Richo

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
The problem with the banana manifold is the 90 degree bend on the front of it, upping the throttle body and bend size does help but the bend remains a problem as long as its there, its why they dont make starr manifolds anymore because they wernt worth the cost.

If you cut the bend off and run a front on throttle body like a LS1 then they are perfectly fine for higher power applications, look up Chubby's VB to see what i mean and you run a less aggressive bend on the intercooler piping to the throttle body that way once the airs through the throttle it doesnt have to #### around.

Otherwise just get a COME manifold, can't beat them.

A carby style manifold is just going to be a world of pain and research to find exactly what style and runners and distrobution will work best.

Richo460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT GTS, VK GRP3 replica
Okay cool thats a good idea. I will chop the snout of the old manifold and weld on a new flange for front facing TB and then have the elbow after that.
What are people throughts on the cheap flEbay throttle bodies?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It will be fine using factory throttle body on front of manifold as long as main restriction the snout is taken out of the equation.

Some people have used ls1 throttle others have used the come throttlebody.

If it's easier try to pick up a cheap 2nd come twin throttlebody manifold...they suck for n/a engines but deemed ok for f/i engines..if you can weld do banana manifold if cant weld buy 2nd manifold like come or redline