Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 VS Ute going to red centre nats

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore Ute 355 manual
Hi guys I’m taking my 500hp+ vs 355 manual Ute to red centre nats this year plan on doing the burnout comp and drags aswell as the usual cruising ect
I’m looking at getting some drag radials for it what should I be looking for and what size fits I have 245/40r19s on atm and they fit fine not sure if I will fit a 15” over my brakes tho something I need to check

Was thinking 255/60r15

It’s running 3.9 diff lsd (thinking about putting spool in)(has never single wheeled tho)
Has boxed top upper control arms and adjustable coil overs all round
Anything I should think about doing to help at the strip? On street traction is pritty much non existent 1st and 2nd and that’s detuned to run on pump98

Hoping to have new E85 efi setup before I go

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
Stock 5l manual utes struggled for traction from factory. Good luck.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
What rear brakes do you have?
I have M/T 255 on a 16" rim. Brakes are 315mm VE with a little shaving for clearance to 16's (a different rim may fit better)

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh I’ve been meaning to just getting time to site down and do it maybe this arvo it has the ve twin piston fronts with 330s I think and rears are be 315s ve’s
I have rolled the guards front and rear
I’d love to fit 275s but don’t know if they will fit and yeh wasn’t sure if I could run 16” or 17” rims running 19x8.5” atm

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Sounds like same rear brakes as me. As said, I am running VS SS rims with Mickey Thompson tyres. But had to shave calipers a bit for clearance. Hunt around and you may find a 16 the works (un-shaved).

Raced a BA ute at the drags once (and beat him of course) and he always had a ballast weight in the tray for traction. Reckoned he was faster overall that way. And he had hundreds of runs under his belt (I think he won nightspeed series that year)

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh mates with both they tyre shops in town so might have to get a few options and do some trialing of rims
Thought about putting some ballast in the back might be a option to try while at the track
The 255/60/16 fit good? Is there much room left?
Was also tossing up the idea of tubing to get enuff room for 275s wouldn’t be to hard being a Ute I have access to a tig

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
What section should I do the build thread