Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 VS Ute going to red centre nats

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
I have rolled the guards front and rear
I’d love to fit 275s but don’t know if they will fit and yeh wasn’t sure if I could run 16” or 17” rims running 19x8.5” atm

I'm running vf ssv redline 19x10 inch wrapped in 275/30 with a 10mm spacer rolled guards too and everything just fits.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Setup is ordinary at best if wanting strip work.

smaller brakes
15x7 chaser with 255/60/15 slick...radial works better for auto cars unless driving to track/home then borrow or buy radials
adjustable top arms to correct pinion angle
set shocks on softer settings & get a mate to film how it launches & adjust accordingly.

Probably have to ride clutch to balance wheelspin/traction.

If just cbf'd just fit 16x7 chaser with tall tyres & hope for the best on drag strip then smash tyres off in burnout comp.

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore Ute 355 manual
yeh I thought about getting some smaller rear brakes just a pain to swop them the car is getting trailered to Alice springs so can trailer it around but will have multiple sets of tyres the 19s for cruising set or 2 for burnouts and 1 set for drags being able to put 15"s on would make it easier.
there is nothing where I live either have to travel 800km to Darwin or 1700km to Alice to race at the drags so not going to happen alot wanna make it worth while.
its not a drag car I just want it best I can get it
and yeh was planning on softening the shocks up should I be softer in the front? the shocks are only adjustable rebound and compression together

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
What should the pinion angle be at?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
2 deg down generally although bit more involved with gearbox & centre bearing angles if want to do it properly....just soften rear a few turns as long as it doesn't tramp & use clutch best you can.

Last vs ute I set up rear was whiteline adjustable arms,pedders comfort gas shocks,6cyl wagon springs minus a coil,adjustable panhard & stock bushes.
Front was stocker 6cyl struts,15x7 rim 235/60 slicks...shaved heads,cammed ls1/t56/4.11

Ran 11's,always broke something in rear end at track with slicks yet hilarious on street tyres

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh right not keen on running full slicks for that reason of braking stuff

Ordered adjustable pan hard bar and upper arms last night aswell as weld in strengthening plates for the lower arms

Was talking to my boss today about me diff he suggested making a 2nd diff up with 4.11 gears and mini spool with standard brakes
Then I can keep my lsd and then I have a spare diff aswell
We have another T5 v8 gearbox laying around so I will have a spare diff and gearbox to take to Alice with me
Just need to find another wagon or ute diff

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Twisted lower control arms at spring seat or would tear teeth off 3.9-4.11 b/w crownwheels...pro9 arms & crewman diff would've fixed it but owner was over it by then.

3rd gear on T5 had a habit of exiting gearbox on mates Brocks...toploader conversion got popular in 90's lol

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh I’ve heard bout 3rd gear that’s why I’m planing on taking a spare haha just see what happens I spose
As long as I get in the 11’s I’ll be a happy camper

355vscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Full spool or mini spool? I’m leaning towards full spool with a new set of 4.11 gears

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
mini spool + spare set of stock axles..cheap & cheerful,gears will be weak link with traction

full spool or truetrac if narrow diff or decide 31 spline axles down the track or better yet crewman diff