Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

38 days left for Holden - RIP

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Spent the day today at ACT All Holden Day. Car got reasonable amount of interest.

As a book end last night went to Light on the Hill, annual dinner and speech in Bathurst commemorating Ben Chifley, who was a big supporter of setting up the local motor industry as we....knew...it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think Chifley and Larry Hartnett would both be pretty disappointed at what's about to happen.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think Chifley and Larry Hartnett would both be pretty disappointed at what's about to happen.
Well in the 40s and even into the 50s, Japanese industry was non existent, only real competitors were small, underpowered, overpriced English/Euro cars, most of which were imports. Holden got 50% market share as there was no real competition.

One thing that ultimately did GMH (and Ford) in was they followed the 'bigger is better' approach of the US.

OTOH, when Japan set up their industry they copied British models initially, then focused on engineering basics - efficiency, reliability. There is a reason why the Corolla is the biggest selling car in history. It's what the average global punter wants. Looking at Australia now, the three biggest selling passenger cars are Corolla sized and Asian.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I wondered about V6 stock levels, so checked one dealer, Heartland at Penrith. Their website lists 24 V6 demos and 12 new ones. The demos are all less than 10 kilometres on the clock. Might be a deal or two there, but I doubt it.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
camaro confirmed and rumours of dodge bringing the charger and challenger so there shouldn't be a shortage of V8s, at a much higher price though. we won't have the same value as the commodores for a long time.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
camaro confirmed and rumours of dodge bringing the charger and challenger so there shouldn't be a shortage of V8s, at a much higher price though. we won't have the same value as the commodores for a long time.
Large, cheap RWD Sedans are a thing of the past, even in USA. Its gone.

FWD cars aren't that bad, you can set them up to drive nicely for not a lot of money. For $400 fitted an uprated rear swaybar and strut tower brace, that alone makes it more involving to drive.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I've just seen a photo on FB of a completed but unpainted Commodore Shell coming down the line today with a sign saying Last Holden.

With ten days to go till closure, would the last body have already been assembled?

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I've just seen a photo on FB of a completed but unpainted Commodore Shell coming down the line today with a sign saying Last Holden.

With ten days to go till closure, would the last body have already been assembled?
Sounds possible.
Probably need 2 months to switch of the computers, sweep the floor and turn off the lights.

ps
I've never had a facebook account. True story.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
ps
I've never had a facebook account. True story.

Until last year, neither had I but I joined to enable me to conduct a search for people in relation to an old relationship. It was the subject of a pretty lengthy thread on The Pub.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
It's a real shame Oz isn't building cars anymore, I would have liked to see us move into electric vehicle production.
L-O-L
man, i is a dreamer