Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

383 Storker

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Can't remember engine just quad stacks unsure if webbered or meth set up...may have been manual iirc.

Yeah pink torrie was there last year or year before with new blown setup...no longer holden v8.

Been going Nats ever since I was a kid when you could camp on Northbourne before the Canberra riots & highway racing...now I'd go every 2 years or so depends on work schedule or if any mates want to go for the Saturday.

For S.A I'd be going to see Tony Knight Engines...dude knows his stuff & is on the bucket list to visit next year with my 355.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I think you better do some research...Back in the early to mid 90's, John Traverna (I think that was who) de-stroked a clevo to get it to rev past 10K. :)

From real crappy memory, the car was a yellow XD falcon, with hilborn injection....It was built for the summernats burnout comp.....

No I think you need to take your own advise and shut up.
You mention a car that was set up to run at 10,000rpm it was also de-stroked you say but you don't even know why. You just assume it was de-stroked due to it being able to rev to 10,000rpm which is a stupid thing to assume.

My understanding is entirely sound look at NASCAR they are a 360ci engine that hold 9,800rpm all day long. The pistons if forged will not break if tuned correctly you will litterally run out of flame front speed before piston speeds become a concern.

But maximum RPM is not what I'm talking about blank blank blank. I'm talking about some one said a 355 revs better than a 383 which is untrue. Okay if we were going to push the stability of the engine past 10,000rpm into the 11 and 12,000rpm area yes a shorter stroke may be of advantage as piston speeds will be ridiculous at those RPM.
BUT WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT THOSE SORT OF ENGINE SPEEDS BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK.
Were talking 7,500rpm max FFS at these engine speeds either stroker kit will rev fine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey OP, can you please edit the title? It's driving me nuts see a Stroker called a Storker.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
You mention a car that was set up to run at 10,000rpm it was also de-stroked you say but you don't even know why. You just assume it was de-stroked due to it being able to rev to 10,000rpm which is a stupid thing to assume.

My understanding is entirely sound look at NASCAR they are a 360ci engine that hold 9,800rpm all day long. The pistons if forged will not break if tuned correctly you will litterally run out of flame front speed before piston speeds become a concern.

But maximum RPM is not what I'm talking about blank blank blank. I'm talking about some one said a 355 revs better than a 383 which is untrue. Okay if we were going to push the stability of the engine past 10,000rpm into the 11 and 12,000rpm area yes a shorter stroke may be of advantage as piston speeds will be ridiculous at those RPM.
BUT WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT THOSE SORT OF ENGINE SPEEDS BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK.
Were talking 7,500rpm max FFS at these engine speeds either stroker kit will rev fine.
I believe the comment you are referring to actually was trying to say the 355 will rev better than the 383 because the head flow is starting to top out (yes 383 will make the same power sooner etc etc) not the actual dynamics of the rotating assembly are limiting the rev potential.

I could be wrong, but that's what I took from the comment (when I read it 2 days ago)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I believe the comment you are referring to actually was trying to say the 355 will rev better than the 383 because the head flow is starting to top out (yes 383 will make the same power sooner etc etc) not the actual dynamics of the rotating assembly are limiting the rev potential.

I could be wrong, but that's what I took from the comment (when I read it 2 days ago)

It doesn't take much work on the heads to fix that issue.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I was replying to the comment you made about destroking an engine you can't get it to rev. (here's the quote " The whole smaller strokes rev better thing is a myth. "

Hummm, best you read more of my comments...But just to refresh your memory, it was built for burnouts....SUMMERNATS burnouts to be precise. Here's my quote
.It was built for the summernats burnout comp..... "

Both quotes can be found on page 3 .

They were using the principal of more revs being able to turn the tyres quicker and make more smoke..He was aiming at taking out the burnout competition....

Might have assumed it was built for 10,000rpm but I am going by the article on this car way back when it was built.....I do have the article from way back when the car was built, but going through32 years worth of street machines, would be a pain in the rectum

Another member remembers the car as well...They actually jogged my memory about the colour and number plate....But just to help you out, do some research on a fluro XD falcon with the number plates NATS 88....It was featured in Street Machine way back in 1988....

Yes I stuffed up when it was built...I assumed it was around the 90's but when a fellow forum member jogged my memory (and thanks to GTRBOYY), I realised that I was wrong with the year

So sure I can shut up, but perhaps do some research first before you go shooting your mouth off at me telling me so

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I was replying to the comment you made about destroking an engine you can't get it to rev. (here's the quote " The whole smaller strokes rev better thing is a myth. "

Hummm, best you read more of my comments...But just to refresh your memory, it was built for burnouts....SUMMERNATS burnouts to be precise. Here's my quote
.It was built for the summernats burnout comp..... "

Both quotes can be found on page 3 .

They were using the principal of more revs being able to turn the tyres quicker and make more smoke..He was aiming at taking out the burnout competition....

Might have assumed it was built for 10,000rpm but I am going by the article on this car way back when it was built.....I do have the article from way back when the car was built, but going through32 years worth of street machines, would be a pain in the rectum

Another member remembers the car as well...They actually jogged my memory about the colour and number plate....But just to help you out, do some research on a fluro XD falcon with the number plates NATS 88....It was featured in Street Machine way back in 1988....

Yes I stuffed up when it was built...I assumed it was around the 90's but when a fellow forum member jogged my memory (and thanks to GTRBOYY), I realised that I was wrong with the year

So sure I can shut up, but perhaps do some research first before you go shooting your mouth off at me telling me so

You should take your own advice and go read my comments. Or go to spec savers.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You should take your own advice and go read my comments. Or go to spec savers.

So what comments do I need to look at?

I do realise it was probably built before you were born, but it's not hard to research about things

1603921721569.png

1603921817457.png

Here's the car I'm on about....A quick google search uncovered the car.....Another quick google search uncovered some specs
of the engine

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/mark-sgaravizzis-351-powered-xd-falcon-88nats

I know you may have difficulty reading it all, but just give it a try

I did lie too...I said it revved to 10,000...It states in the article it revs to 11,000 rpm....So sorry about that....I was also wrong about the owners name....So sorry about that too...Might have made it more difficult to track the car down

Last edited: