Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

383 Storker

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I thought I was good with rope seals untill I dumped 2L of oil in my driveway.
Ive heard good things about HSD in Moorabbin but if I had an open cheque book it would be pavtek all the way.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
the come 383 set up runs differnt bolt set up on there rods meaning less clearancing the same as a 355 so its not a problem anymore realistically the engine will see 6000 to 7000 rpm . what size cam will you use ? ones that see between 6700 and 7200 normally see around 500 hp give or take and will be a wild street car 3500 to 4000 stall t400 advised going to need 10.5 min comp bigger cam will need 11 + 383 will be realiable just make sure its built right with good parts as any engine 355 are lighter cranks and are ment to be safer spinning harder but again its normally going to be 6000 to 7000 rpm for a good safe build at 420 to 500 hp witch in a commodore is a 11 sec pass na and on the street is going to be good fun . you can build a 367 i think these days also dont know much about it but ment to be just as good

I'm going to look into this 367 thing a little more.

With the 383 strengh is not an issue if you have a big budget as pavtek sell scat forged 383 cranks.

Alloy heads will see all your power figures increase too. Which is why I'm planning on using alloy heads and a 383 crank in my VS. I have all the tools to build my self though.

The Doctor 1280

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 HSV Senator
i have been told that my block is the pre clearance one for 355. dunno if its the same for 383.

The Doctor 1280

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0 HSV Senator
I haven't decided on the cam yet. I want something lumpy but not over the top. i'm thinking of maybe a SC down the line so i don't want to go too big on the cam if i'm understanding it all.

Thinking of running it NA for a while then charge it when i got a bit more cash.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
i have been told that my block is the pre clearance one for 355. dunno if its the same for 383.
VT block definitely is factory clearanced (for 355 with stock VN-later style rods).
Will still require checking and maybe more clearance whatever you build.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I haven't decided on the cam yet. I want something lumpy but not over the top. i'm thinking of maybe a SC down the line so i don't want to go too big on the cam if i'm understanding it all.

Thinking of running it NA for a while then charge it when i got a bit more cash.
Either put a big flat tappet in it for now, and switch to a roller when the charger goes on.
Or put a boosted specific cam in the motor straight away.

In all honesty though. Decide 100% whether it will be charged or not, and then build the motor to suit (compression etc). Otherwise you will end up with a compromise and not be 100% happy.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I'm sitting in the same boat trying to decide and have been for over 12 months.

Do I want a decent mild 304 rebuild, a 304 rebuild to support a Harrop charger down the line, how about just a cam and a charger and worry about the bottom under when it pops, a tough 355 as I have a VT roller block in now or why not a 383?

These thoughts have plagued my mind endlessly for what feels like a lifetime. But the fact it runs great as is and I'm starting to build a house makes me question if it's truly worth jumping into without another 12 months of deciding its fate. A solid diff and gearbox probably makes more sense in the mean time for me.

We'll see if I click buy it now spontaneously on one of the above one day but for now I honestly I hope I hold off until I make up my mind.

Do it once do it right without half assing anything and wasting money.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
How does a 355 rev better? You can rev a 383 past 9k if you had a strong enough bottom end.
The whole smaller strokes rev better thing is a myth.
John Kasse said in an interview he stopped worrying about piston speeds long ago. Even if you stroked out a 308 to 400ci (which can't be done) you wouldn't even hit bad piston speeds at 9000rpm.
Look on you tube how many 500ci+ BBC engines there are that rev out to 8k on the dyno.
It's the cam and heads that determine engine RPM not engine stroke.
And the extra torque you get from a 383 vs a 355 has nothing to do with stroke but purely displacement.

I think you better do some research...Back in the early to mid 90's, John Traverna (I think that was who) de-stroked a clevo to get it to rev past 10K. :)

From real crappy memory, the car was a yellow XD falcon, with hilborn injection....It was built for the summernats burnout comp.....

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Flouro XD was called 88NATS..lots of hype built up it was going to smash burnout comp....put it in the wall.

Front/Back pink torrie had 330'ish cubes...mega hours & research to sustain crazy rev burnouts,performed well all came down to engine blocks being past their power limits like many others had found out before.Dude now gone chev(?) route obviously.

360 cubes was deemed by top aus engine builders best mix of revs/torque from holden v8....unlimited budget,custom parts.

That was all before tp blocks became available last checked it was $6700 just for the block.

whiskeytango...do the minimum mods & slap the blower on....buy undies in bulk & enjoy.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Flouro XD was called 88NATS..lots of hype built up it was going to smash burnout comp....put it in the wall.

Front/Back pink torrie had 330'ish cubes...mega hours & research to sustain crazy rev burnouts,performed well all came down to engine blocks being past their power limits like many others had found out before.Dude now gone chev(?) route obviously.

360 cubes was deemed by top aus engine builders best mix of revs/torque from holden v8....unlimited budget,custom parts.

That was all before tp blocks became available last checked it was $6700 just for the block.

whiskeytango...do the minimum mods & slap the blower on....buy undies in bulk & enjoy.

That's the XD I was thinking about. Can you remember the engine capacity he went to and from? My memory doesn't go back that far with that detail....I also can't be bothered going through my street machine collection to find it....Waay too many to go through :)

Clint Olgivy (spelling) had the Torrie Not sure if he is still in the scene to know what he is running..

Engine wise...I hear alot of people go the 355 stroker......Have a mate ready to go the 355 stroker route with his burnout car....Early days yet, but the research they did, 355 seemed the best option for the N/A route they are going.....