Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

383 stroker build 2300 harrop

Sultana bwan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
Hey guys, got a vx ss 6 speed manual and looking building it, so far ive got qoutes for a 383 stroker and higgins heads with a harrop 2300, i want to keep it on pump fuel has anyone got a set up like this what would i be expecting power wise my diff is a freshly built harrop 3.9s with a trutrac anything along the way i should expect or need to replace obviously clutch and extractors, or would i be better off putting a LSA in it? And what brakes would i need to suit and pass engineering at some stage cheers

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might work out the same price to get an LSA crate engine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a HD clutch and its a bit of a prick.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
There's a few factors. An LSA might make bigger numbers but it won't just slot straight in. An LS1 stroker will, same everything (loom, hoses, etc) and bolts right up. I went down this path for that reason, was an easy job and makes oodles of power. Smidge under 400rwkw and 830nm. I only have an M122 not a 2300 either. You can use a Walbro 460lph in your current sender with some modifications. It's good for up to 700hp

I have a Mantic 9000 twin organic, expensive but she's light as a feather for daily duties and smashes the launch power down when you give it a hammering. Worth every penny

Last edited:

Sultana bwan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss
What fuel milage would you be able to go i still want to take it for a drive and not use 30l per 100 basically all my qoutes have all come in at around the 40k mark but thats machining for the block and the heads stroker, clutch, harrop 2300, extractors exhaust and fuel system, the builder recommended using the vcm under car 2.5L surge tank and 2 044 bosh fuel pumps

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mileage will depend on how you drive.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
firstly decide what ''realistic'' power u want to make and what rpm u want to make said power at, then choose the heads to flow the air needed for said power matched with the stroke u want, then match the camshaft that will deliver the power/stroke/flow for that combo and u should get a good driving vehicle, no point wasting money on heads if the cam dosnt suit and stroke if the cam wont suit it or the heads wont flow or flow too much for a power goal ur not going to be wanting so ur loosing drivability from it, if ur spending that sort of money dont grab bits hear and there spend time to work it all out, expensive parts dont make u power they just allow u to survive in bigger power for longer, stroke is stroke, compression is compression, heads flow and camshafts allow it in and out

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
40k? They'll let you insure the car for $15 once it's installed.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
$40k sounds about right, you can do better if you go with some DIY. LSX for example will build you a fruity stroker, low comp with Higgins heads, a cam and flow to suit your needs for 15k(ish) delivered. You can pickup a full 2300 kit for $12k, then you're going to need a clutch to suit that... say... $2k, labour, fuelling and a tune and that's the better part of $40k gone. DIY install and you'll get it back closer to $30k. I sold my old LS1 for $3k. It's gonna chew fuel though, even if you baby it. I can get down to 22L but it mostly lives closer to 30L, cause I didn't build it to drive it like a Getz all the time. On the highway it uses SFA

An LSA will cost more in the end. You can't just bolt it up to a T56, or your computer, then you have a different reluctor wheel, mounts, sump, hoses and other stuffing about adds up quick

You can insure it for whatever you want if you're willing to pay for it

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I'd take on board the advice above but also say I don't think the engine you describe would pass. So I'd say first talk to an engineer and decide what you want passed and do this first along with where you want to end up.
Personally I'd be following @Pollushon and spending coin on clutch like this and decent brakes before Higgins heads = clean / a slight rework of stock heads = your going forced induction.
But depends what you're going for = dyno # or super streetcar.
For street use with something along the lines you're describing you're just going to fry tyres even on a perfect bit of road if you're just simply smashing right foot.
On brakes the Harrop 4 spot with various Dia rotors were stock or options on HSV models of the time = I have with the 343mm Discs all round = fantastic.