Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

383 stroker tuning help

v8bulldogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux with vp 5.0
Hi,

I just posted this in a different part of the forum but maybe it should be in here instead... sorry guys. here is a repost.

I fitted a standard vp 304 into my 97 Hilux Dualcab about 6 months ago and has been going well.
Last week, I pulled the motor out and have started on the come 383 stroker kit.

Standard vp heads that have been port matched, bowl jobs, and smoothed flow past pushrod lugs. 3 angle valve jobs and upgraded springs and flat hydraulic lifters.

Running standard intake, pushrods, rockers. Rollmaster timing chain kit.

Block has been 0 decked and heads shaved to reduce chamber cc to 56 to hit target of cr 9.5

An Interesting find was made while measuring the standard deck to piston clearance before the decking was done.
The odd bank 1,3,5,7 averaged 26 thou and the even bank 2,4,6,8 averaged 15 thou... hmmm.!

The cam is a crow 4650 with 230/230 @ 50 and 113 seperation with advertised duration 292 with valve lift of .4983 intake and exhaust.
Does this cam sound too big for this street car? went a little bigger to allow for intake manifold upgrade later.

Standard injectors at present but I am looking for some bosch 706 cream tops which I will be running with this stroker kit.

The exhaust and extractors are modified vp extractors and 4 into 1 collectors running to a y piece and then a 3 inch straight through system.

I am hoping to get this beast running and bolted in within the next 2 weeks but need some advise about the tuning... I don't want to run her lean and cook it.

This combo will run lean with the standard memcal/chip. I am looking for someone who can supply me with a good base tune which will give me a starting point for the dyno engine and cam run in.

There is no dyno blokes around here (Northern NSW Inverell) that i know of or trust to take care of the tune.

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
greenfoam is bound to have a stroker tune there in his possesion ready to burn im sure he will chime in later.you cant run bigger injectors on the stock tune either.

v8bulldogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux with vp 5.0
I was hoping to attract his attention,

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I read about the car in a message somewhere today. I'll think about it when I wake up and get back to you

v8bulldogs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux with vp 5.0
Thanks Greenfoam,

I have found your ebay stuff and sent a message through there.