Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

390mm rotor 6 Piston CTS-V front brake upgrade

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
Hi all
thought I would post my very recent upgrade from my 4 pot brembos that come with the VE Series 2 Redline to the Cadillac CTS-V sourced 6 piston Brembo calipers and two piece 390mm Brembo rotors. Check out the pad difference in the pictures below. Following is a brief account of my experience and impressions - obviously yours might differ.

I did the upgrade because I found the 4 piston Brembo calipers / 355mm rotors not quite up to the task on the track. They are very good for the street but for the VE I found them to struggle after repeated 200km/h + stops down Sandown's front and back straights. I've done all the usual supporting mods, such as fitting HEL braided lines, DBA 4000 rotors and even sourced titanium shims - which do a great job shielding the pistons and brake fluid from very high pad/rotor temperatures. I tried all sorts of pads, and settled with Remsa in the end. I tried Bendix Ultimates (fine for the street, not the track ), Bendix Street and Track (very good on track, terrible on the street).

Choosing the CTS-V brake package made sense to me because it pretty much bolts on and is a very cheap way into serious braking hardware. Others have covered this subject so I will not go over the usual old ground.

Part numbers first - found easily on Amazon.

Front Calipers:ACDelco 172-2488 OE Service Front Brake Caliper and ACDelco 172-2487 OE Service Front Brake Caliper
Pins:ACDelco 18K2108X Disc Brake Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit
Rotors:Left and Right :ACDelco 177-1145 GM Original Equipment Disc Brake Rotor and ACDelco 177-1146 GM Original Equipment Disc Brake Rotor
Bolts: M14x2.0x45mm GRADE 10.9 bolts
Pads:ACDelco 171-1040 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Pad Kit
Titanium Shims:email [email protected] Bill Lutton is an awesome guy in St.Louis MO, he prototyped these shims for me and they a works of art. He has them in stock now - I think they're great value.
Drill Bit:14mm & can of WD40

You will also need to get new copper washers for the brake lines and DOT 4 fluid.

The process is pretty straightforward however it goes something like this:

Car up
Wheels off
Pins and Pads back and out (open the fluid reservoir)
Caliper Bolts off
Suspend the caliper - do not hang by the brake lines
Old rotors off
Drill out the knuckle with the 14mm drill bit - keep it straight, don't go too fast (you'll burn out the bit), don't go too slow (you'll break the bit), I used WD40 to keep the drill bit alive - I think it helped - and I like the smell of WD40 - tip: get comfy , I use a SCA stool so I am in position and able to work straight.
BLAST ALL THE METAL FILINGS WITH AIR - you don't want metal filings getting between your pad and your rotor.
Get the brake lines off the old caliper and onto your new calipers - wear gloves - brake fluid stuff is carcinogenic. Use new copper washers.
Clean new rotor with brake part cleaner
Mount the rotors - left and right (right on driver's side)
Mount the caliper fit the bolts do not go over 80 foot pounds - I used some Blu Permatex thread lock on the bolts - up to you. USE THE RIGHT GRADE BOLTS - GRADE 10.9
Insert pads and shims
Fit cross-bar
Fit Pins and Springs
Bleed back left, back right, front left, front right - or something like that. Do an autobleed if you have a scan tool to get any air out of the ABS module before doing the caliper bleed. Remember there are 2 nipples on these things.
Gently bed in the pads - don't go hard on the brakes for the first few days ( my reading tells me). The first km or two are a bit rough as the paint comes off initially.

Overall final result is very good. You can get new brembo decals if you do not like the V decals that come stock. Doesn't bother me, I am more concerned with the how they stop than how they look - however I think they look great I think.

PM me if you have any questions. I think its a great mod.

30t3w5x.jpg

16aw5cy.jpg

xesfp.jpg

2zqhav4.jpg

v40baa.jpg

2i9rx8n.jpg

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hi all
thought I would post my very recent upgrade from my 4 pot brembos that come with the VE Series 2 Redline to the Cadillac CTS-V sourced 6 piston Brembo calipers and two piece 390mm Brembo rotors. Check out the pad difference in the pictures below. Following is a brief account of my experience and impressions - obviously yours might differ.

I did the upgrade because I found the 4 piston Brembo calipers / 355mm rotors not quite up to the task on the track. They are very good for the street but for the VE I found them to struggle after repeated 200km/h + stops down Sandown's front and back straights. I've done all the usual supporting mods, such as fitting HEL braided lines, DBA 4000 rotors and even sourced titanium shims - which do a great job shielding the pistons and brake fluid from very high pad/rotor temperatures. I tried all sorts of pads, and settled with Remsa in the end. I tried Bendix Ultimates (fine for the street, not the track ), Bendix Street and Track (very good on track, terrible on the street).

Choosing the CTS-V brake package made sense to me because it pretty much bolts on and is a very cheap way into serious braking hardware. Others have covered this subject so I will not go over the usual old ground.

Part numbers first - found easily on Amazon.

Front Calipers:ACDelco 172-2488 OE Service Front Brake Caliper and ACDelco 172-2487 OE Service Front Brake Caliper
Pins:ACDelco 18K2108X Disc Brake Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit
Rotors:Left and Right :ACDelco 177-1145 GM Original Equipment Disc Brake Rotor and ACDelco 177-1146 GM Original Equipment Disc Brake Rotor
Bolts: M14x2.0x45mm GRADE 10.9 bolts
Pads:ACDelco 171-1040 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Pad Kit
Titanium Shims:email [email protected] Bill Lutton is an awesome guy in St.Louis MO, he prototyped these shims for me and they a works of art. He has them in stock now - I think they're great value.
Drill Bit:14mm & can of WD40

You will also need to get new copper washers for the brake lines and DOT 4 fluid.

The process is pretty straightforward however it goes something like this:

Car up
Wheels off
Pins and Pads back and out (open the fluid reservoir)
Caliper Bolts off
Suspend the caliper - do not hang by the brake lines
Old rotors off
Drill out the knuckle with the 14mm drill bit - keep it straight, don't go too fast (you'll burn out the bit), don't go too slow (you'll break the bit), I used WD40 to keep the drill bit alive - I think it helped - and I like the smell of WD40 - tip: get comfy , I use a SCA stool so I am in position and able to work straight.
BLAST ALL THE METAL FILINGS WITH AIR - you don't want metal filings getting between your pad and your rotor.
Get the brake lines off the old caliper and onto your new calipers - wear gloves - brake fluid stuff is carcinogenic. Use new copper washers.
Clean new rotor with brake part cleaner
Mount the rotors - left and right (right on driver's side)
Mount the caliper fit the bolts do not go over 80 foot pounds - I used some Blu Permatex thread lock on the bolts - up to you. USE THE RIGHT GRADE BOLTS - GRADE 10.9
Insert pads and shims
Fit cross-bar
Fit Pins and Springs
Bleed back left, back right, front left, front right - or something like that. Do an autobleed if you have a scan tool to get any air out of the ABS module before doing the caliper bleed. Remember there are 2 nipples on these things.
Gently bed in the pads - don't go hard on the brakes for the first few days ( my reading tells me). The first km or two are a bit rough as the paint comes off initially.

Overall final result is very good. You can get new brembo decals if you do not like the V decals that come stock. Doesn't bother me, I am more concerned with the how they stop than how they look - however I think they look great I think.

PM me if you have any questions. I think its a great mod.

30t3w5x.jpg

16aw5cy.jpg

xesfp.jpg

2zqhav4.jpg

v40baa.jpg

2i9rx8n.jpg

Awesome post mate!

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Great post. Thats a hell of a difference in pad size. Let us know if it effects the balance of the car much on the track.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
The big question: How much were the parts all together?

And how long do you think it would take a professional if I paid to fit them?

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
The big question: How much were the parts all together?

And how long do you think it would take a professional if I paid to fit them?

I bought almost everything from Amazon. So these are USD, divide by whatever the current exchange rate is plus shipping (not cheap). If you select the product title and part number and search google it'll take you to Amazon you can figure out the total cost at today's exchange and shipping rates.

Calipers are about $600 for both plus shipping
Rotors are about $600 for the pair
Pins are $20
Pads are $200
Drill bit $40
Titanium Shims about $80
Bolts about $20 (again make sure they are Grade 10.9)
Copper Washers $2

So $1540 USD or about $ 2500 AUD with shipping.

Timewise, it took me about 3 hours all up including bleeding and I am no pro - I think 4 hours max - Its not hard to do.
cheers

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Great post mate. I love this info. Seen a few package deals (flea bay) for 6pot fronts and 4pot rears. Wonder if I would need a master cylinder upgrade with that many pistons? Do you have the same setup or just the standard 2pot rears?

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
Thanks mate !!