Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3D printing unique kit

Slapphappy

Reaction score
Members Ride
99' VT Commodore v6
With the rise of 3D printing I've been contemplating the idea of utilising the technology for body work mods. Things like body kits could be replaced for a fair amount less and created easily with a computer design program leaving a lot of room for customisation and plenty of unique kit.

Anyone else had thoughts on the idea?

Sent from my GT-N7105T

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I think the idea is sound but the technology is still not there yet for the size ur talking about. Even commercial 3D printers won't do large items.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I think the idea is sound but the technology is still not there yet for the size ur talking about. Even commercial 3D printers won't do large items.

^ This completely.

Have you ever actually seen first hand and/or used a 3D printer Slapphappy?

Even small items, Depending on the result & use you have for them need a lot of prepwork to make them flawless. It's not a smooth CNC outcome or a moulded object it is created from molten injected plastic and 3d printed items get the harsh rough edge.

Cheers
Mat

Slapphappy

Reaction score
Members Ride
99' VT Commodore v6
I'm talking down the line. The technology is reasonably new, and it getting better in time.

I've seen plenty of video on them. Making things like wrenches that work as per usual. I think the potential is there.

I've seen them print several smaller items and mould them together to create a larger object. Not that it would be ideal for said work, but it's something.

Sent from my GT-N7105T