Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3D scanning our parts

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
WHOA!! ‘Ere! That’s well out of order, that is! Not those parts! I’m talking about our Commodore parts. So many things no longer available and we have to start 3D printing them.

I’ve had a few things printed up already. Had it done by someone. I don’t have a 3D printer… yet.

So this gets dropped today by HP Tuners, which as you know do some of the best online automotive tutorials around.

In it they mention you can use your phone to scan and my mind was blown!
1681205957058.gif

So here’s the app they mentioned and used in the video:
https://apps.apple.com/au/app/trnio-3d-scanner/id683053382

These images can be exported to be used in CAD.

I feel like I’ve been under a rock.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Amazing potential for future products for sure. This is a headlight intake duct prototype for a FG Falcon I did for a mate from a 3D scan a couple of years ago. Miniature and then 1:1 size. The 3d scan files do need a lot of post processing though, the original 3D scan file had 40 million faces.

upQtfwi.jpg

1yGaLQH.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it possible to print a VE shifter surround/console? If yes Is it cost effective and accurate?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Depends on the skills and tools you have available to you. Certainly doable, but time consuming and expensive to do accurately.

For example the headlight above was close to 70 hours printing alone, probably 10ish hours playing processing the mesh (admittedly I was learning at the time) plus whatever it took to scan it (done elsewhere).

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Is it possible to print a VE shifter surround/console? If yes Is it cost effective and accurate?
I think designing a clip in adaptor for turning an auto to a manual. A well marked template for the cutting the existing surround. Then a 3D printed trim to clip in. Would be way cheaper than a whole surround.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably better to spend the $260 and buy a new one.