Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3k 4 engine + labour

good o bad

• Total voters

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
i got quoted from my local mechanic for $3grand for a rebuilt ecotec plus labour to remove current engine and insert new engine, is he trying to rip my off or is this a good deal?

thanx

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
sounds pretty fir if the new motor is included in that price.recon ones are usually around the $2000 mark

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
what year is the ecotec ??? / how many k's ??? any mod's ??? it's quiet alot for just a new engine ..........

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
i got charged 2.5 k for them not to find the problem plus chuck in another engine found the problem in 1.5 hours with savage1987

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
what year is the ecotec ??? / how many k's ??? any mod's ??? it's quiet alot for just a new engine ..........

Dude, have you ever priced a rebuilt ecotec engine? and do you know what rebuilding an engine involves?

BxTom

Reaction score
I voted bad deal, not necessarily because of the price but because, from what I think you are saying, the reco engine is done by your local mechanic, thus not carrying the same warranty that you would get through one of the bigger companies.

Cheers,
Tom.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
sounds about right, ide still do some shopping around but if it includes everything, and absolutly everything and you like the mechenic go 4 it

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
Dude, have you ever priced a rebuilt ecotec engine? and do you know what rebuilding an engine involves?

c'mon mate i doubt it was fully rebuilt wich is why i asked how many k's ect most of the time they only do it half arsed just like reco alternator's they just replace brushes clean em up and put em back on the shelf

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
c'mon mate i doubt it was fully rebuilt wich is why i asked how many k's ect most of the time they only do it half arsed just like reco alternator's they just replace brushes clean em up and put em back on the shelf

A rebuilt engine is different to an alternator :rofl:

To the OP if you trust the mechanic, or know of people who have delt with this mechanic with success, the price is fair, dont listen to this guy, check his previous posts before you take his advice.

Last edited:

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
pretty fair price for a rebuild.. but then getting it installed and what not... it'll end up being quite expensive... a rebuild kit is about 800 bucks from repco (mechanics get it cheaper) so they are putting over 2000 on labour.. hmm.. anyone would think mechanics make good money :whistling