Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4.11 diff in vn

D

driftking

does a 4.11 out of a pintara go straight in to a vn if not wat do i need i have changed centres be fore but not sure if axels will fit and all the other bull ****

D

driftking

so if i got pintara axels and weld the holden stud pattern on the end of the axel to the same length of the vn axel will that work as i am a boiler maker so i can do that at work

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
driftking said:
so if i got pintara axels and weld the holden stud pattern on the end of the axel to the same length of the vn axel will that work as i am a boiler maker so i can do that at work

No..dont do it. The pintara axles are weaker than the VN ones, why wouldnt you want to keep the VN axles?

All you want is the gear ratio of 4.11... Thats it. Just take the gears out of the Pintara diff and put them into yours. Simple. The VN diff is better than the Pintara one in every other aspect, so why would you want any other part of it?

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
i got a 4:11 in my vp but i dunno how they fitted it but think the brakets little different but that was when i looked at my friends vn

D

driftking

so how hard is it to put the 4.11 ratio in and keep the vn axels

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Its a bit of work.
You will need to replace the crown wheel & pinion off your old diff centre with the 4.11 set off the pintara. The internal gears are the ones with the different splines so the commodore axles will be re used. The main problem you will have is to get the tooth contact & preload of the bearings right. If you are lucky you will get it right first time but I doubt it.
If you end up with too much clearance in the gears a noisy diff will result & possible failure or premature wear.
Too tight & it will also fail.
The only advice I could give is to read a manual & ensure you understand it fully before attempting.

D

driftking

so what kind of manual do you recomend to read and is there a different ratio than standard that will bolt straight in to the vn diff

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Any manual with the Borg Warner diff will do. The main bit you will need to know is the tooth contact & how to adjust it.
To get the contact & preload may take a few times of assembling & disassembling so you want to make sure you are going the right way. It would also help if you know a mechanics shop or diff joint that will lend you there selection of spacers while assembling, as this is how the carrier is moved in relation to the pinion.