Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4 Channel Amp into VE SSV Commodore

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Apologies for the multiple posts but I'm working thru my dilemma, I'm hoping someone has come across this problem before. I have installed a 4 channel Kenwood amp into my VE SSV. Each channel from the amp powers 1 speaker so I can use my balance and fader controls. The problem is that my subs no longer work. I've fiddled with the low pass filter and frequencies on the rear channel but it's made no difference. I understand I could power the four speakers bridged off two channels and use the "B" channel to power the amp but then I would lose my fader control.
Is there a workaround that will allow me to use the 4 channel amp for the four speakers and retain the use of the factory subs and factory sub amp? (I may upgrade the sub amp and subs at a later date, but for now they will do).

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I've had a bit of a think about this. Can I pick up the left rear (green) wires from the head unit (in parallel) and run them back to the sub amp (thereby bypassing the 4 channel amp)? I would disconnect the existing two green wires that go into the sub amp plug. I would retain the left rear (green) wires going to the new 4 channel amp.

Kitsune

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002
here's what I did with my speaker setup...

Channels 1 and 2 are for the 6x9's in the parcel shelf, channels 3 and 4 are bridged so that the subwoofer can get enough power, possibly you can purchase another amp that is 1 channel or bridgeable that way you can use the aux out to power the subwoofer.

I wouldn't advise powering the subwoofer direct from the headunit as they tend to be tuned towards higher frequencies and you will be disappointed with the bass, factory speakers tend to be the cheapest speakers they can buy in bulk... they are cheap and can break easily I would however suggest that you get rid of the entire stock system.

Buy yourself 6x9's for the parcel shelf, 6.5" for the doors, I know when you replace them it will appear too large to start with but if you get rid of those cup holders the speakers sit in you should get a spacer for them... speakers are sold in pairs so purchase 2 pairs...

The 6x9's like a bit of bass, put a subwoofer in the trunk and wire it up, how to tune it depends on your ears really... but I suggest putting the gain at it's lowest and match it to the other speakers to start with and fiddle around with it, don't use the gain as the volume control... watch CarAudioFabrications on Youtube on how to set it up correctly.

If you are wanting to replace your tweeters I would suggest instead of purchasing 6.5" 2 way or 3 way, go coaxial and make sure they are separate tweeters and get crossovers for them... with a properly matched resister.

The setup I described won't get you perfect sound but at least it will be a step in the right direction... but seriously... replace the factory speakers... EWW!