Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4 months and it still isnt working

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
ok guys ive gotten desperate so i figured id ask here as it seemed as good a place as any:

about 5 months ago my computer blew a power supply, got a new one. a month later it blew that one so got a bigger power supply. then it just wouldnt start or respond at all. new motherboard, processor and ram. then it would shut down as soon as it started windows and seeing as the computer bloke had it run for 2 days at his place without a problem he reckoned it was the power in the house. moved house in january and its still doing it so got a new harddrive and video card. still had the problem. changed how the motherboard was reading the hard drive and it lasted 2 days before it was stuffed again. now it has a new motherboard and its still stuffed.

The problem is that it will just shut down and then re-boot. no warning and i cant get it to ever blue screen. thing is that i dont see how it could be the power supply cause i've had the computer loaded up and its fine then you go to play a game and it dies. its better than what it used to be in that i have maybe 20mins before it does it.

However one thing i noticed was that on the back of the power supply it has an imput of 230V, 50Hz. Doesnt australia run 250V??? if so do you guys think this is the problem??

If not im gonna start buying new everything until it works again

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
are you changing the parts youself? could be many things...cpu could be overheating causing it to shut down...could ba faulty ram.. run a memtest that will tell you if thats the problem...when power supplies blow they tend to break other parts along with it too

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
DVD Rom conflicting? Try unplugging it and see what happens.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
CPU and/or graphics card can cause a reboot.
If it's mainly noticeable when you go to play a game, which is obviously more demanding on your system, I'd definitely be checking both.
heat sinks and fans all connected properly?
Possibly try running the pc with the side off and a fan blowing into it, if this fixes it, then you have an overheating issue.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the CPU.

And Australia runs 230V but it has a +10% to -6% tolerance.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah first thing i did was thermal paste and its defintely not overheating... computer bloke has been doing all the work except the latest motherboard change i did it myself cause i was sick of waiting a week to get him to tell me theres nothing wrong with it

funny thing is that i've got it down in melbourne with me at my families and its been running fine now for 2 days no problems... you dont think an older house could be causing the problem do you? something in the wiring?? i geuss ill have to wait till i have it back in sydney to find out
im wondering if the cpu is dodgy it might be a little sensitive and so the older house might be messing it up cause the power might be a little less?? i was thinking of getting a multimeter and checking the power sockets

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
yeah first thing i did was thermal paste and its defintely not overheating... computer bloke has been doing all the work except the latest motherboard change i did it myself cause i was sick of waiting a week to get him to tell me theres nothing wrong with it

funny thing is that i've got it down in melbourne with me at my families and its been running fine now for 2 days no problems... you dont think an older house could be causing the problem do you? something in the wiring?? i geuss ill have to wait till i have it back in sydney to find out
im wondering if the cpu is dodgy it might be a little sensitive and so the older house might be messing it up cause the power might be a little less?? i was thinking of getting a multimeter and checking the power sockets

..are you running a surge board?

Lots of appliances using the same outlets etc?

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah i was running everything off a surge board... only had the monitor, computer, and speakers plugged in though, tried running everthing from a different power point and didnt do anything
this morning windows had corrupted a file so had to do a repair on it... could it be that the cd-rom hasnt got all the info so windows hasnt quite installed right?